Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Time replace some parts - need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Dont Tread On Me

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Time replace some parts - need some advice

So here is the plan -
Front will need new brakes (rotors and pads) and new shocks. Not sure about the coils (70K miles on the truck, so what do you guys think?)
The rear will need new brakes as wel (rotors and pads) and new shocks.
I dont plan on lifting the truck other than the shocks / coils if I get any lift out of that.
I will eventually put on new tires, maybe 33x12.5 is the biggest.
What is stock FX4 shock? Is it Rancho with Ford branding?
What would be a good replacement brand for everyday driving, occasional trailer hauling, and hauling yard work and honey do stuff ( like build a deck and stone path ways)
I had Old Man Emu on my 4Runner and it was great but too bouncy for little kids.
Bilsteins always rate pretty high, I dont have much experience with Rancho.
Would OEM be a good option?
Thanks guys,
Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Well, if you want to level the truck, from what I understand is the blistiens can do that. Belltech also makes a strut that you can use to raise or lower the front, I don't have the PN handy, but it allows you to go down 2 or up 3 iirc. I wouln't worry about the coils unless they are cracked.

Brakes, my research points to the raybestos heavy duty rotors and hawk pads, I chose the LTS pads.

Depending on the offset, you shouldn't need anything crazy to clear those tires, but if you level the front, you should be fine from what I read.

Like your sig, that's why my wife don't touch the truck
Old 07-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Dont Tread On Me

thank for the reply.
I dont have the unlimited budget bailout plan, so It will have to be a step by step process.
Brakes first. Where is a good place to shop brakes? Online any better than just going to the Napa?
Is there a difference between the 4600 series and the 5100 series?

Oh, thanks about the dent. You should see her car! Ouch!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

the belltech struts are like $100, so they are reasonable. I bought my pads off of ebay, between 2 sellers I think I paid a total of $60 for them. the rotors I bought from ebay, I think the fronts where 54 each and the rears around 36? I've got a prime account so I get free shipping on my orders.

The tires will be the most expensive item on your parts list.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Dont Tread On Me

Oh I know, that why they will be the last.
I checked out the Hawk pads, looks good to go.
Are slotted and drilled rotors worth the money, or will they warp easier than a solid rotor?
I am not planning to race this truck offroad and crazy stuff like that, but I dont want the brakes to fail when I am pulling my travel trailer up or down a mountain.
Thanks for the input!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Burton
Oh I know, that why they will be the last.
I checked out the Hawk pads, looks good to go.
Are slotted and drilled rotors worth the money, or will they warp easier than a solid rotor?
I am not planning to race this truck offroad and crazy stuff like that, but I dont want the brakes to fail when I am pulling my travel trailer up or down a mountain.
Thanks for the input!
The slotted and drilled rotors will last longer because they are more efficient in dispersing the heat and dust from braking. Warped rotors are usually caused by excessive heat. Even though they are performance for everyday driving they should last much longer then stock.

Quick Reply: Time replace some parts - need some advice