Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Time for new rotors/pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for new rotors/pads

I'm needing to replace my front rotors/pads on my 05 F150 2wd. It's a daily driver, no towing, no hard driving, and just over 62k miles on it. After looking at my haynes manual amd some youtube videos, I'm pretty confident I can do it on my own and have all the tools. I just haven't messed with brakes yet and am alittle overwhelmed with all the info/choices. After some searching I've found a site with the best pricing (1aauto.com) but don't know anything about them and don't see alot of detail on where their parts are coming from. Also my local O'Reillys has some Bosch rotor/hub assembly kits in stock which leads me to my other question, would I even need to replace the hubs too?
Old 05-09-2016, 02:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only reason you would need to replace the hubs is if they are bad. If they are bad they will make a grinding noise. front pads and rotors are very simple, even for a beginner. one big thing to remember when doing them is not to let the caliper hang by the brake line. the weight of the caliper can compromise the integrity of the brake line. after you get the wheel off you are literally talking 4 bolts to get the caliper and caliper bracket off, which will let you pull off the rotor. be sure to clean the rotor with brake cleaner before putting the pads & caliper back on. from the factory the rotors are coated in oil to prevent them from rusting, you dont want that on there. lastly ive not heard anything bad about 1aauto, but if im not in a big hurry for my parts, i like rockauto.com, but even oreilly, or advance, or autozone shouldn't be overly expensive.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:18 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

The bearing is made into the rotor on the 2WD models for our generation. If you want to change rotors, then you have to chang the "hub" as well. Make sure you get new spindle nuts as well just if you go this route, because the nut is a single-use item.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:57 AM

Received 78 Likes on 77 Posts

Or call brake labs they make a 2 piece design where the bearing and rotor are separate. I put these on mine with drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you shop online at Advanced Auto, use TRT30 for a 30% discount.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my apologies for the bad info. im new to these trucks, but have been doing brakes since my early teen years, and the only thing i seen that was close to what nrivera04 is the chevy colorado i use to have had the rotors bolted to the wheel hub.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

Centric parts...

Amazon.com: Centric Parts 120.65128 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating: Automotive Amazon.com: Centric Parts 120.65128 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating: Automotive

Comes with new Hub, Rotor and Spindle nut.

You need to order 2 plus pads.

JT

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for help guys! And thanks for the coupon code mavrik I don't think I've been on advanced auto yet but I'll check it out.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:27 AM
1A Auto Parts

Received 473 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by pwhudson
I'm needing to replace my front rotors/pads on my 05 F150 2wd. It's a daily driver, no towing, no hard driving, and just over 62k miles on it. After looking at my haynes manual amd some youtube videos, I'm pretty confident I can do it on my own and have all the tools. I just haven't messed with brakes yet and am alittle overwhelmed with all the info/choices. After some searching I've found a site with the best pricing (1aauto.com) but don't know anything about them and don't see alot of detail on where their parts are coming from. Also my local O'Reillys has some Bosch rotor/hub assembly kits in stock which leads me to my other question, would I even need to replace the hubs too?

We have a very good source for our brake rotors and pads. Our rotors are made better and have more weight to them, than a lot of the other rotors on the market. We're starting to have quite a few forum members buy them and post very positive feedback.

I've been running them for a while now and have them on 4 of my vehicles.

If you need help finding brake rotors and pads for your truck, I can help you out.

Tony
Old 05-10-2016, 08:58 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's a front set for 2WD dirt cheap price. $69.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Premium-...lWgtOo&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Time for new rotors/pads