Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Time to make a decision

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to make a decision

Hello guys/gals. I have the dreaded '04 5.4 that just clocked over 200k miles. I have a fresh transmission rebuild (3rd one), and new tires, so I have recent money invested in the truck.

I just hauled my enclosed trailer full of my things over 1200 miles for a new job. During the move the #7 cylinder was misfiring, I pulled the coil out, reseated, checked resistance, plugged back in and it drives fine now...

The main issue I'm here for is the typical diesel knock coming from the bottom of the engine. It's noticeably louder after the long haul. It had a fresh oil and filter change of Motorcraft 5-20 before the move.

The engine doesn't leak or burn any oil much at all so I feel like it should still have plenty of life left in the block.

So my Question is: Should I look into letting someone do some level of an overhaul? I like the truck and everything else is solid. From what I read, I'm guessing the phasers and chains are the culprit. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:07 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rockerphotog
Hello guys/gals. I have the dreaded '04 5.4 that just clocked over 200k miles. I have a fresh transmission rebuild (3rd one), and new tires, so I have recent money invested in the truck.

I just hauled my enclosed trailer full of my things over 1200 miles for a new job. During the move the #7 cylinder was misfiring, I pulled the coil out, reseated, checked resistance, plugged back in and it drives fine now...

The main issue I'm here for is the typical diesel knock coming from the bottom of the engine. It's noticeably louder after the long haul. It had a fresh oil and filter change of Motorcraft 5-20 before the move.

The engine doesn't leak or burn any oil much at all so I feel like it should still have plenty of life left in the block.

So my Question is: Should I look into letting someone do some level of an overhaul? I like the truck and everything else is solid. From what I read, I'm guessing the phasers and chains are the culprit. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction? Thanks.

spend the money do a timing chain overhaul go another 200k..

cam phasers/chains/guides/tensioners/vct solenoids/oil pump/water pump etc.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:05 PM

Thank you Sir for the list. I wasn't sure what all was involved but now I know what they should be replacing. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Others may disagree, but with 200K on the motor, I'd start to consider a new motor. Even with all new timing components, phasers, water pump etc, other things are going to begin to wear out. It's a tough call. A repair could give you a lot more trouble free miles, but you might have new issues pop up after that that will eventually cost more then a new motor might have cost you if you had installed it now. Either way it's a lot of money, but still cheaper then getting a new truck. I'll be interested to hear others opinion. Let us know what you decide.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

If you like the truck and would keep it, let's make a financial decision:

Cost of repairs: $2500 (est)

Estimated remaining lifespan post-repair: 150K miles (conservative)

Miles per year: 17K (your trucks average)

Practical years remaining after work: 8 (rounded down)

So, if we look at it like a monthly payment, you're paying $26/mo to keep it on the road for 8 more years.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:47 PM

Thanks guys. I don't like the idea of paying for a new truck for sure, would be nice to have one, but ain't gonna happen.

I guess I'm going to call around and see what kind of estimates I can get on both scenarios and go from there. I feel like the block and heads still have plenty of life left in them, so I'm leaning towards doing just the timing chain overhaul and crossing my fingers.

Truck runs and sounds great on cold start-ups, has plenty of torque, but when up to temp the timing chain slap noise starts up and it's missing pretty bad right now. I know it needs new plugs at least but I definitely have more major issues going on.

The #7 cylinder misfire code popped up again last night. Seems to happen at full temp when I try to accelerate entering interstate traffic. I'm hoping it's just the plug and not a timing issue... I'm reading that the bad chains can make it go slightly off time.

The truck is parked until I find a shop. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:24 PM

Ok, finally found a mechanic that I can trust. This one is telling me that I'd be better off replacing the engine.... but I'm not sure if he's just saying that for the quicker turn around.

I need new plugs too, so do you think I could have him pull the plugs and do a compression test first, then decide? God I hate living in an apartment.... I'd be doing this myself if I still had my garage.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:45 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

What's the price difference?

If I could have a new engine put in with say a 3yr 36k mile warranty for two or three hundred dollars more I would probably go that way just for peace of mind. Just my thoughts.

But yes if I stayed with the same block I would do a compression test and make sure all was well. That many miles you are bound to have a little ring groove on the block.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeathMc
What's the price difference? If I could have a new engine put in with say a 3yr 36k mile warranty for two or three hundred dollars more I would probably go that way just for peace of mind. Just my thoughts. But yes if I stayed with the same block I would do a compression test and make sure all was well. That many miles you are bound to have a little ring groove on the block.
I bought a Ford Remanufactured, has 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. I have a 2004 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw. I had a screw fall into one of the cylinders without my knowledge. Started it up and killed the motor. Ugh. I have peace of mind in knowing I have a new engine.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:10 PM

Dropped it off at the local "by word of mouth" Ford guru. He listened to my truck and thinks the noise isn't near bad enough for a busted timing chain guide, but more just phasers being worn out. I guess I was blowing it out of proportion....

He's gonna start with the well over-due spark plugs to see if the miss and rough idle goes away. If not, I'll have him test the phaser solenoids next. If the phaser's are sure enough the issue, he wants to swap it all out with a new assembly with phaser lock-outs and a tune from a hand held tuner. He said he's done several so far and everyone loves it, so I think I may go that route.

Just glad I found a mechanic that doesn't try to sell me a new engine without even looking at it.... I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Time to make a decision