Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

time to change my fluids.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:05 PM
afg

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default time to change my fluids.

so my truck is 7 years old and i have never changed the fluids except for transmission when it was rebuilt under a year ago

so i need to change power steering, coolant/radiator, brake, diff and a couple more.

so my question is what kind of fluid should i replace it with? should i just go to autozone and get some from there or should i get something from ford.

thanks for any advice
Old 05-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear diff is " lifetime fluid " so you shouldn't need to change it unless you are really hard on it. Brake and power steering is a definite. I use premium fluids but everyone is gonna have a different budget and recommendation. I don't buy stealership fluids simply because you can get pretty good stuff at your local parts store quite a bit cheaper. I'm a Valvoline and Royal Purple guy, but that's just my preference. If you do end up changing the rear diff fluid, you have to use a vacuum evacuator or better yet, pop the diff cover off to drain it. Our rear ends don't have a drain plug. Don't forget that its a full synthetic fluid with a friction modifier in or added to it. You can buy it with or without it already in it. I've run Valvoline fluids in every vehicle I've owned since I was 16 and had really good luck with it. Good luck with your project.
The following users liked this post:
afg (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 03:34 PM
afg

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks. i guess ill go with autozone becauuse im on a tight budjet.

also the reason i wanna change the diff fluid is because i drive almost always on pavement and do some reckless things once in a while so i rather be on the safeside. ill take it to my mechanic and ask him to do the diff fluid change.

thanks again for ur input
Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Doing the rear diff is actually really easy...now I don't know your mechanical ability, but It's just a matter of takin the bolts off the cover, lettin the fluid drain out, and puttin the cover back on. You can buy a gasket for it, but some high temp RTV from Autowrong or O'Reilly Auto works just as good or better. Then refill it with the full synthetic gear oil which is I believe 75w140 if I'm not mistaken. Don't forget it takes either buying the oil with the friction modifier additive in it, or adding it yourself. It's really not a difficult task if you have a drain pan and basic hand tools. I did mine in the drive way in about 30min.

Last edited by firehose777; 05-18-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:17 PM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

You will need friction modifier for the rear differential only if you have a limited slip differential. Stuff smells like death from what I heard. Front differential doesn't require friction modifier as it's an open differential. The transfer case has a drain and refill plug. Do these procedures after you've driven for a while to make the fluid hot and easier to evacuate. Just out you don't burn yourself.

Use a Motive brake bleeder and replace with a higher temperature rated brake fluid but with the same DOT.

Coolant should be compatible with Motorcraft.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firehose777
Doing the rear diff is actually really easy...now I don't know your mechanical ability, but It's just a matter of takin the bolts off the cover, lettin the fluid drain out, and puttin the cover back on. You can buy a gasket for it, but some high temp RTV from Autowrong or O'Reilly Auto works just as good or better. Then refill it with the full synthetic gear oil which is I believe 75w140 if I'm not mistaken. Don't forget it takes either buying the oil with the friction modifier additive in it, or adding it yourself. It's really not a difficult task if you have a drain pan and basic hand tools. I did mine in the drive way in about 30min.
FYI, I had my local shop change my rear diff fluid and they used Amsoil with friction modifier already added to the gear lube. Total waste of money as I had to replace it and add the ford friction modifier as the rear end would vibrate and groan every time I made a turn. The friction ford friction modifier was about 7 dollars for the bottle and once I changed it out, the groaning and vibration went away in about 2 miles of normal driving with turns. Supposedly ford gears are very finicky as of what type of friction modifier the clutch packs like. HTH

RON
Old 05-21-2013, 06:03 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Where does it state that the Front and rear Diff's are lifetime ???
Old 05-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
Where does it state that the Front and rear Diff's are lifetime ???
It don't list a time to change the fluid. Unless its a Dana Axle. I just looked(Unless i missed it)...

I thought it said every 100k, But i can't find anything stating that. I change mine every 25k,
Old 05-21-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The diff fluid is a lifetime because its full synthetic that being said. You should change it if the axle is ever submerged in water. Or usually around 100 k I believe the clutch packs needs to be serviced on the t lock if you have one so at that point you would Change the fluid.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:45 AM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't believe in any lifetime non-service recommendation. Although it comes straight from the manufacturer, I find it hard to believe. All fluids break down. I wish I took pics of my rear differential fluid when I had my rear pinion seal and axle seals replaced. At 180,000km it was as dark as Wesley Snipes. Considering how much work I put my truck through, I don't imagine Ford would tell me it is okay to leave the fluid forever. I work my truck as if it's an F-350!

Quick Reply: time to change my fluids.