Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

tie rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:38 AM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

Default tie rod ends

hi all, i took my 06 150 Screw with 6" lift and 35's in to get the alignment re-checked. i have recently moved, and it hasent been checked in about a year. but, last time it was done was a small shop in an isolated town, so its all i could do.

well, it has pulled to the right ever since. the guy said it was due to the lift, and it was as good as he could get it. so today, i was told that i needed new inner and oiter tie rods on the pass side. so, when i got the truck home, i checked them, and sure enough the outer is shot, but the inner to me seems just fine. i even unscrewed it from the rack and pinion, and i cant find any play in the inner end.

is there a special way to check it, or is the guy at the shop just trying to make an extra buck for the holidays? i do think that i want to replace both outers, but not the inners. the driver side has a very small amount of play in it, so i figured i might as well.

thanks for your help !
Old 12-11-2009, 01:58 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

i would say if it had no play and operated smoothly ..its still good
my 98 with 6inch lift drove like brand new never pulled...stayed on the road better than my new 08 ..i replaced all my innner and outter tie rods when i installed the lift..
Old 12-11-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

thanks for the reply. im thinking about just replacing the outer tie rod ends, and the lower ball joints... the bj's seem to be fine, but i can get all the parts cheaper and replace myself, than the shop quoted just for 1 outer and 1 inner tie rod. then when i get the alignment, all will be set, and last for some time.

Quick Reply: tie rod ends