Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Thumping on the front shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thumping on the front shocks

Ok so I have a leveling kit on my front end and this is not a new issue, its just really getting to me know. Its a 2" shim level and on the front end when I hit any bump it sounds like the front ends falling off, im assuming its the shims that are making the noise as everything is tight on the front end. Would a set of new springs fix this or should I maybe look at 5100s with 2" leveling and sell the shims I have, just looking to get rid of the thump and rough ride I have on the front but keep my level
Old 10-22-2011, 11:40 PM

You did not state the mileage on the truck before you put the kit on.Did you change anything on the front end? Did you check out things like ball joints, tie rod ends? Could be possible that the sway bar end links are in a bind? I have found a lot of front end noise is in the sway bar ends, and bushings.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:42 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

What size tires you got? Could be the tires.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:52 PM
CREEK CRAWLER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckster48
You did not state the mileage on the truck before you put the kit on.Did you change anything on the front end? Did you check out things like ball joints, tie rod ends? Could be possible that the sway bar end links are in a bind? I have found a lot of front end noise is in the sway bar ends, and bushings.
X2 I have run into this also. The bushings get worn and clunk thud clunk
Old 10-23-2011, 07:27 AM

I had a clunking sound coming from the front end as well and it was the sway bar end links. Replaced both sides with new ones from NAPA for $55 and all is quiet now. They are easy to replace although I had to heat one of the upper studs as it was hard to get off.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:13 AM

It just rolled over 100k, I actually ran it up on the lift on Friday and looked at some stuff and everything is tight on the front, I do have 33s on it but they are just Terra Grapplers, I looked at the shim and they do have some play and also got to looking since the wheel was hanging low someone put HD springs on it
Old 10-23-2011, 08:18 AM

I have run into this too. Apparently if you run over you wife you want to clear out her appendages from the undercarrage. An Arm, Wrist, Foot ect could be caught between the top of your a-arm and the fender making an aweful clunk. This is just my experiance, May not be your problem

However, as you previously stated this isnt a new problem, She was a hell of a nagger before the accident, listening to her clunk for a couple weeks was easy as pie!

-06inthestix

Quick Reply: Thumping on the front shocks