Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Thump sound in rear wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thump sound in rear wheel.

I currently own a 2005 Ford F150 Fx4. Whenever the car is in park or off, and push the car forward and back there is a thump sound coming from the passenger rear side. I cannot figure out whats making that sound. At first I thought it was my diff so i took a look at it and everything is fine. So if someone could help me that would be great.

The noise only occurs when the car is in park and is being pushed slightly. I dont know what the best way to explain it is.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 07:54 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Well.... Your truck doesn't move forward in park. But there is a little bit of play in all the mechanical items from the transmission to the tires. So when you push forward, it will still move until it all locks up. I really don't think this is a big deal if its just that.

The fact that you hear it on the passenger rear side could be just because that's the wheel that is locking up in the limited slip.

Other than that, check your U-joints. But you would notice that on acceleration from a stop. I dunno, I don't think you have an issue but I can't diagnose over the internet without even a video or anything.

Quick Reply: Thump sound in rear wheel.