Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:51 PM
In This Discussion
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: Throttle Position Sensor Reset?

As your truck ages, the throttle response may slowly dwindle. Some forum users are using a clever method to reset their Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and get more throttle response.

Read the full discussion below to find out how:
Print Wikipost

Throttle Position Sensor Reset?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Ryan

Received 81 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Throttle Position Sensor Reset?

I'm told there is a sequence of turning the key on and off and pressing the gas pedal down to open up the throttle position sensor on the 2004-2008 model 5.4L's? I'm told it opens up the throttle closer to 90-100% at wide open throttle versus stock settings which helps push a little more hp. Has anyone out there heard of this, or better yet, done it?

If so, does anyone know exactly how to do it?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here you go.

"Turn the key to the on position but DON'T start the engine. Now press the gas peddle to the floor SLOWLY and let it come up/back as fast as you can, turn key to the off position. Now do this two more times."

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/throttl...s-5-4-a-71539/

Here is another method as well

"I got mine to 108%. Wide open throttle started being displayed at around 89% and I still had throttle left. On the floor, the pid reads 108%.
I took the assembly out to try the mustang mod, saw that it's a different system on the F150, so had to put it back in after doing nothing. But when I went to reinstall, I saw that the 2 bottom mounting holes are oblonged just a little. I put in the top bolt, and I held the the bottom of the pedal assembly as far forward as possible,and tightened the bottom bolts. turned the key on, waited for the lights and did the reset. Like I said it went from a top reading of 87% to 108%, and the difference from a dead stop take off now is amazing."

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/04-f150...-10957/index3/
Old 08-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this earlier this week and it does work. It also worked on my friends 4 runner.

Noticed a little decline in my mpg but that's probably because I've been putting my foot in the gas a little more now that she has a bit more pep to her.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:11 PM
08 F150 LIMITED

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I just found out this procedure (diamonbird) works on older model f150's....a friend of mine just stopped by and I asked him if his truck had any lag in the throttle response and he said yeah it does so I did the procedure and he called me twice to tell his truck has never run this good.
His truck is a 1999 f150 5.4l.
So guys give it a try if you've got throttle response problems, it can't hurt and it doesn't cost a dime!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Built FORD Tough!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I just did this.. wow what a difference in performance! Really woke my truck up. My truck was so slow before and didn't know why.
My neighbor has a 07 screw with the 5.4 k&n intake, flowmaster exhaust and we did a couple runs and he blew by me like I was standing still. I'm sure he will still take me because mine is bone stock performance wise, but it wont be as bad for me now.
Thanks guys!

Oh, do you have to do this anytime you disconnect the sensors and clean the throttle body or just once in a while?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:55 AM
08 F150 LIMITED

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You can do it anytime, it doesn't hurt a thing but I wouldn't think you need to do all the time.........just saying!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Ryan

Originally Posted by diamonbird
You can do it anytime, it doesn't hurt a thing but I wouldn't think you need to do all the time.........just saying!
What do you mean do it all the time? Does it go back to stock after you shut it back off?

Sounds like something I'm gonna have to give a shot this week.. You say it hurts you MPG? How bad we talking? lol
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

The computer will adaptively learn how to open the throttle plate less over time... This happens when you start driving normally after the excitement of the pedal trick wears off... This is why you need to do it regularly. It does work great. I do it all the time, like once every 2 weeks to a month....
Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmp213
What do you mean do it all the time? Does it go back to stock after you shut it back off?

Sounds like something I'm gonna have to give a shot this week.. You say it hurts you MPG? How bad we talking? lol

The MPG decline wasn't crazy or anything. This trick makes your truck drive like it's new so I've been flooring it around town

I figure before you did the trick you had to hit the gas for longer to get you up to speed. After the trick you don't have to hit the gas for as long because your truck will have more pep. Idk...I see it as an even trade!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Ryan

I'm probably gonna give it a shot, my truck is actually gettin decent mpg's considering the bigger m/t's i'm running so i don't wanna ruin that lol

Quick Reply: Throttle Position Sensor Reset?