Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

throttle body spacer

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default throttle body spacer

I decided I'm going to go ahead and put on a throttle body spacer on my 5.4l but the question is does the brand matter? If so what brand? Whats the differences?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by malas15
I decided I'm going to go ahead and put on a throttle body spacer on my 5.4l but the question is does the brand matter? If so what brand? Whats the differences?
OK.

Brand does not matter since NONE of them will do anything for you.

Nada. Bupkis, Squat. Zilch. SFA.

They will lighten yer wallet though, lol.

It IS yer money though - not gonna tell you how to spend it.

Enjoy the whistle.

MGD
Old 01-23-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Has anyone had any experience with these spacers on a 5.4? I'm wondering if there's any sensor problems or computer codes after installing..... or are they really too useless to even cause problems?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:49 PM
MGD
former member

Originally Posted by JCooper
Has anyone had any experience with these spacers on a 5.4? I'm wondering if there's any sensor problems or computer codes after installing..... or are they really too useless to even cause problems?
Hi.

^^^ Bingo - you nailed it

Engine, PCM, driver will never even know it's there.

Even fuzzy dice are more useful

MGD
Old 01-23-2014, 08:56 PM

Ok. What if paired with a CAI and high flow exhaust?

Also, what about a larger throttle body (aftermarket)?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 PM

Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

Save all the money that you will waste on a CAI, TB spacer and bigger throttle body and get a SCT tuner and then do the Gotts mod. That will net you way more power than that other stuff. And the exhaust won't do much unless you do a full custom dual exhaust with long tube headers
Old 01-23-2014, 09:06 PM
MGD
former member

Hi.

No sir.

What a TB spacer attempts to do is increase plenum volume. Now - this worked on old carberetted vehicles, but yer truck already has very long intake runners and plenty of volume. TB spacer adds so little as to be insignificant.

Ergo - no measurable difference.

An exhaust and/or intake on a stock truck adds little as well ( despite all the BS Marketing), because the OEM units already outflow the engine's needs. Especially true for 04+. Perhaps a couple/few hp above 4,000 rpm or so - not enough to notice.

Adding a custom-tuned programmer is the single best bang-fer-buck mod (within reasonable reach based on cost).

MGD
The following users liked this post:
JCooper (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2thousand5.4
Save all the money that you will waste on a CAI, TB spacer and bigger throttle body and get a SCT tuner and then do the Gotts mod. That will net you way more power than that other stuff. And the exhaust won't do much unless you do a full custom dual exhaust with long tube headers
Already wasted the money a long time ago. I have a tuner already too. Just wanted to make sure OP wasn't thinking I was asking about a spacer alone. Don't hear much about throttle mods
Old 01-23-2014, 09:55 PM
all mixed up

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Throttle mods are not common because the factory components are so efficient and the fact that it is fuel injected the computer can adjust as needed. Changing the amount of air coming in does not do anything if you don't have bigger valves, more cam lift and duration, more fuel and injector duration, more fuel pump volume and all that just gets crazy you get what I am trying to say? Throttle body spacers are useless other then the whistle noise that makes you feel like your so cool because you have a fake turbo under the hood. Lol. The gotts mod is good , exhaust, and tuner. If you demand more then save your money for a supercharger, now that is worth it.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:06 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Skip the spacer and buy a BBK 85mm (5mm larger) throttle body. It's worth every penny!

Quick Reply: throttle body spacer