Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Throttle Body Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Jan 2008 TOTM & Gdreject

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Throttle Body Replacement

I washed my engine (i know i know) and i lost all throttle response. I thought it was the TPS but my dad took it to our mechanic while I was at work. He is saying that the entire throttle body needs replacing. Can you just replace the sensors on it? I.E 30 bucks for a new TPS vs 350 for a new throttle body. The mechanic is great but like most mechanics he just isnt used to the new technology in trucks. I know in the haynes service manual it says you cant replace the TPS, however it is possible to replace it.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If it were my truck, I'd replace the entire throttle body.

And as you already know, never, never use water pressure to clean an engine bay; too many electrical sensors and connections under the hood.

I mention this only for future searches that may be performed on this subject.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Jan 2008 TOTM & Gdreject

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I used the low pressure engine cleaner and the spot free rinse (which is basically a mist).

Why do you say to replace the entire throttle body versus just the sensor? The truck will turn on just fine I just have no throttle control. It threw the codes; p2104, p2106, p2110. If I leave the TPS on it cranks funny and idles rough. If I unplug the TPS it runs fine just no throttle.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirtbottle09
Yeah I used the low pressure engine cleaner and the spot free rinse (which is basically a mist).

Why do you say to replace the entire throttle body versus just the sensor? The truck will turn on just fine I just have no throttle control. It threw the codes; p2104, p2106, p2110. If I leave the TPS on it cranks funny and idles rough. If I unplug the TPS it runs fine just no throttle.
I guess you could try just the sensor; if that doesn't do it, you'll have a spare sensor. Have a buddy you could swap the sensor or entire TPS to test? Then you'd know for sure before you spend the money.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Replacement