Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Thinking about getting a 04+ F150...what do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting a 04+ F150...what do I need to know?

New member here, first post. My GF and I have been thinking about getting a used full size truck. I've been looking at all domestic manufactures but I'm partial to fords. I've always liked the 04+ styling and they are finally getting to where I can afford one(my budget is $13k) but at that number I keep seeing a lot high mileage trucks. So one of my question is is 100k+ miles too high for these trucks. I would like to keep this truck for a long time so this is a concern..getting a truck with too high miles to begin with. Also, what would you guys suggest, the 4.6 or 5.4 engine? Which is more reliable? I thought I read something about the spark plugs on the 5.4? We will not be hauling anything heavy other than maybe a boat(someday) just doing a lot of driving. Also, XLT and FX4 which do you guys prefer? I've been eyeing these two...which would you guys choose?
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...25408784&Log=0

or

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...19072489&Log=0

I know this is an F150 forum but let me know which other non ford trucks I should take a look at too. I would like a crew cab with 4x4. Thanks for any info/advise.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:30 AM
2008 FX4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive always been iffy with vehicles with high mileage, simply because you dont know what your going to get yourself into. God knows what the previous owner did in those 100k or so miles.

There is nothing wrong with the 5.4 engines...the reason the spark plugs snap or break off in the engine is because people use the wrong tools or theyre retarded and leave the plugs in for 100k+ miles. no truck or vehicle is perfect in any shape form or fashion. if it has **** or tires it will give you problems eventually.

These trucks tend to hold their value hence the high price ones. I would keep looking until you found one that is within your budget. You can def find a few within that price range with 70k or so miles but if your plan is to finance one you may be a lil SOL. i will tell you as a friendly warning as a previous owner of one...stay the h-e double hockey sticks away from the chevy colorado. That thing is one headache after another.

this may help you decide on which years to purchase:
http://www.fordproblems.com/F-150/

Last edited by Jmarine81; 07-11-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the spark plugs jmarine. People over react on it. Using the right tools they don't break often and having the right to to extract its not a big deal. In any event $450 every 50k miles isn't bad at all if you don't do them yourself. I wish mine was a little more powerful bit I put an edge programmer and it made a world of difference for towing my race cars. Hopefully you find one!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

It's knownthat the early 2004 to 2006 5.4's had an issue with the spark plug design. This was corrected in late 2006, yet Ford will not admit to it. The fact that some plugs broke has nothing to do directly with using correct/non-correct tools. Even the dealerships that replaced the plugs on these early 5.4's would have them break, that is why many owners had fits when they brought them in for a tuneup and were quoted high prices for this service. Ford posts that the plugs did not require changeout until 100K, so that led to them being more difficult to remove due to carbon buildup. There are alot less reports (if any) of the late 2006 to 2009 5.4 with plug breakage issues.

Since your price range puts you into this catagory, I would at the very least ask for maintenance records. If the owner cannot show you any, jot down the VIN of the truck, and ask your local Ford service department to run a maintenance check. If any Ford dealer did service to that truck, they can see it in the database. If there are no records, then go on to the next truck. Consider the 4.6 or 4.2 if you do not need to pull heavy trailers. These are great engines as well, just not rated as high in the towing catagory.

If you get past the maintenance record step, then ask the seller if it's alright that you have a qualified mechanic check it over. It may cost you 50 bucks, but this second step is well worth it. Most folks skip this step, and complain later that they bought into trouble. Well worth having it checked out.

The 5.4 is a good engine for pulling; lots of torque. Not famous for fuel economy though. Expect around 14 to 15 average around town (with a light load), and maybe 18 to 20 on the highway for averages.

These engines can go way out into the 200K mileage range, provided they were maintained. This is key when buying a used truck over the 75 to 80K range. Ask for records, and get it checked out by a qualified mechanic before you buy. If a seller feels this is not nessesary, walk away from the deal.
If you have access to a carfax check, do that too. Although the mechanic can check for previous body damage/fixes.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 07-11-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a 04+ F150...what do I need to know?