Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Is there a way to turn off TPSM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 01:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Is there a way to turn off TPSM?

So as the title says is there a way to turn off the light that come on on the dash and in the info center? Because I just put on my after market rims and they didn't switch the sensors over because they wanted $200 to do that and I thought that was crazy so I was just going to deal with the light! I already tried putting all the sensors in the spare tire and the light still stays on any Suggestions? Thanks dan
Old 07-14-2013, 02:26 AM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

This.
Black electrical tape. I promise you don't even notice it unless you're looking for it. The passenger can still see it but the driver can't.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:49 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

No. That's what happens when the government mandates stupid technology for vehicles. It can't be turned off because its required by law. They are powered by watch batteries and when the battery dies your gonna pay $70 for an aftermarket sensor or $100+ for an OE sensor.

If you ask anyone in the tire business TPMS is the stupidest thing ever.

And a lot of dealerships don't even know how to handle issues with the system when it's a problem on the PCM side they just blame it on tire retailers claiming we broke the sensor.

Last edited by BassAckwards; 07-14-2013 at 03:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ts01 (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 AM

Well that's really frickin dumb like your not going to notice when your getting a flat when you truck is sitting 4" lower in one corner lol! And yeah that el tape wouldn't work for me because I have the lariat cluster and it's tan also it shows up in the info center I can deal with the light but I hate how it shows up in the info center then every time I have to hit the damn reset button!!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:12 AM

Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

If it really bothers you that much and want another idea from the tape, you can open up your cluster and just remove that light from the TPMS spot so that it'll never light up.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sdatrlp23
If it really bothers you that much and want another idea from the tape, you can open up your cluster and just remove that light from the TPMS spot so that it'll never light up.
X2 I ended up doing this because it drive me nuts.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:38 PM

NVM IT WORKS!! I put all the Sensors in a little donut tire and have it sitting in the bed of my truck and now the light doesn't come on! And I would have just unplugged the light but seeing that it's a lariat it will show up on the info center as well as the light!!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ford lover 07
Well that's really frickin dumb like your not going to notice when your getting a flat when you truck is sitting 4" lower in one corner lol!
TPMS is not for detecting flats... From Wikipedia on "TPMS":

Fuel savings: According to the GITI, for every 10% of under-inflation on each tire on a vehicle, a 1% reduction in fuel economy will occur. In the United States alone, the Department of Transportation estimates that under inflated tires waste 2 billion US gallons (7,600,000 m3) of fuel each year.

Extended tire life: Under inflated tires are the #1 cause of tire failure and contribute to tire disintegration, heat buildup, ply separation and sidewall/casing breakdowns. Further, a difference of 10 lbs. in pressure on a set of duals literally drags the lower pressured tire 13 feet per mile. Moreover, running a tire even briefly on inadequate pressure breaks down the casing and prevents the ability to retread. It is important to note that not all sudden tire failures are caused by under-inflation. Structural damages caused, for example, by hitting sharp curbs or potholes, can also lead to sudden tire failures, even a certain time after the damaging incident. These cannot be proactively detected by any TPMS.
Decreased downtime and maintenance: Under-inflated tires lead to costly hours of downtime and maintenance.

Improved safety: Under-inflated tires lead to tread separation and tire failure, resulting in 40,000 accidents, 33,000 injuries and over 650 deaths per year. Further, tires properly inflated add greater stability, handling and braking efficiencies and provide greater safety for the driver, the vehicle, the loads and others on the road.

Environmental efficiency: Under-inflated tires, as estimated by the Department of Transportation, release over 57.5 billion pounds of unnecessary carbon-monoxide pollutants into the atmosphere each year in the United States alone.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Just more government interference in our lives. They just refuse to believe that people can take care of themselves...
The following users liked this post:
Ballin STX (07-14-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 12:59 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

That looks like an xlt cluster....perhaps you can go to the dealer and ask them to reprogram your cluster using the program for an earlier year xlt? You can get the vin for one off an eBay listing if they need it. It might cost 100 bucks but you'll never have to seek with it again or take up bed space with a donut

Quick Reply: Is there a way to turn off TPSM?