Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

is there a v6 aftermarket air intake?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a v6 aftermarket air intake?

air intake other than k&n? also the exhaust is kinda rotted, are there any decent replacements around?

Last edited by blakerugg; 06-22-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:14 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Save your money on any type of CAI for the 4.2 V6....other then some "eye candy" when the hood is opened, they do nothing in the way of performance; most will actually hinder performance, as they are not a sealed box, and suck warm engine heat. Look up "gotts mod" on this site, and consider that instead; cheaper, and more effective.

Exhaust? Consider your local muffler shop for a replacement. They can build you a great exhaust as good as any one you can buy aftermarket. Since yours is rusty, it's going to require cutting and torching to remove it; something that would not be a fun project to do in a driveway!
Old 06-24-2015, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Save your money on any type of CAI for the 4.2 V6....other then some "eye candy" when the hood is opened, they do nothing in the way of performance; most will actually hinder performance, as they are not a sealed box, and suck warm engine heat. Look up "gotts mod" on this site, and consider that instead; cheaper, and more effective.

Exhaust? Consider your local muffler shop for a replacement. They can build you a great exhaust as good as any one you can buy aftermarket. Since yours is rusty, it's going to require cutting and torching to remove it; something that would not be a fun project to do in a driveway!
thats my whole thing, i really only want a new intake to replace the ****ty looking one under the hood. but i wont spend the $308 on the open K&N. ill check out that mod.

as far as the exhaust, i have the tools & experience to get the old one out, and im not really looking for anything crazy since its a v6. maybe just a little grumble, but more importantly, one thats not rotting. has anyone messed around with the cats on these? i know that messing with them will probably mean more noise, but is the decrease in restriction worth it?
Old 06-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by blakerugg
thats my whole thing, i really only want a new intake to replace the ****ty looking one under the hood. but i wont spend the $308 on the open K&N. ill check out that mod.

as far as the exhaust, i have the tools & experience to get the old one out, and im not really looking for anything crazy since its a v6. maybe just a little grumble, but more importantly, one thats not rotting. has anyone messed around with the cats on these? i know that messing with them will probably mean more noise, but is the decrease in restriction worth it?
No, and its illegal. While you may not have any local laws or sniffing inspections, it's a federal law you'd be breaking if you remove them. If you trade the vehicle in, you sign a paper (amongst others) that states all federally mandated equipment is on the vehicle and working. A dealership requires this on file, as they too cannot legally sell the vehicle either if this equipment is missing or tampered with. If you sell it privately, and even with an "as is" clause signed by the buyer, they can still come after you.

So other than noise and legal issues, there's no real gains to be seen by removing the cat(s).

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 06-24-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
No, and its illegal. While you may not have any local laws or sniffing inspections, it's a federal law you'd be breaking if you remove them. If you trade the vehicle in, you sign a paper (amongst others) that states all federally mandated equipment is on the vehicle and working. A dealership requires this on file, as they too cannot legally sell the vehicle either if this equipment is missing or tampered with. If you sell it privately, and even with an "as is" clause signed by the buyer, they can still come after you.

So other than noise and legal issues, there's no real gains to be seen by removing the cat(s).
where can i find a write up of the gotts mod? ive looked through pages and pages of search results and have only found it mentioned and found questions about it.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by blakerugg
where can i find a write up of the gotts mod? ive looked through pages and pages of search results and have only found it mentioned and found questions about it.

http://www.fordf150.net/articles/idx...ification.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is there a v6 aftermarket air intake?