Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Tell me about Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tell me about Flowmaster

Is the Flowmaster exhaust systems one orders basically all about "sound". This is something I was considering adding to my truck, but I don't understand alot about it. I currently have a 2007 F150 4.6L V8 with the stock exhaust. If I went with a Flowmaster system, would this create that low toned, dual muffler sound, sorta like a glass-pack or the old straight pipe sound? I'm just wanting to add a little aggressive sound touch to the truck, but not something that is way too agressively loud and excessive. If so, which is the best Flowmaster setup for this?
Please.... enlighten me.
Thanks a million
Old 03-04-2010, 01:57 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Flowmaster is pretty much sounds only. I have a magnaflow on mine and love it. Sounds like a truck should stock. They offer a 14" 18" and 21" i believe. I have the 18" and it sounds nice when on the throttle but at highway cruising speeds it has 0 cab noise. Flowmaster will give it that "muscle car sound" magnaflow will be a bit deep but not quite as aggressive...Check you tube for comparison. Mine is in my signature.
The shorter the muffler, the louder. Thats why I went with 18". I had a flowmaster 40 series on my 4.2 and it sounded nice but very loud. It would sound really nice on a 4.6 as well (seeing how its a V8 compared to a V6) I would think you are looking for a flowmaster 40 delta flow by the sound of your description, or an 18-14" magna depending on how loud you want it. With the 4.6 you could probably get teh 14" and be happy. Are you going to keep the stock setup or change the piping as well? (Note, you are not going to "gain" anything by just swapping on a muffler, only do it if you are wanting sound. You would have to do Intake, headers, cats, and muffler to see any gains)

Last edited by dplummer87; 03-04-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Good info there dplummer87... I'll go check out the llink. So is "Magnaflow" a Flowmaster product? Or is Magnaflow a seperate exhaust system?
Old 03-04-2010, 02:26 PM

Oh... and by the way... I'm not knowledgable on this muffler stuff, so, I don't know one way or the other if I should change out the entire pipping or not. Can you elabortate on that a bit for me? I mean, I'm not following you on "gain". Gain what? I wasn't just going to change mufflers and that is it. However, I was after the "sound" more than anything. What other benefit is there to "gain" but going with more than just muffler?
Old 03-04-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Magnaflow is a seperate brand.

Here's the flowmaster scale:

Old 03-04-2010, 02:45 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane
Oh... and by the way... I'm not knowledgable on this muffler stuff, so, I don't know one way or the other if I should change out the entire pipping or not. Can you elabortate on that a bit for me? I mean, I'm not following you on "gain". Gain what? I wasn't just going to change mufflers and that is it. However, I was after the "sound" more than anything. What other benefit is there to "gain" but going with more than just muffler?
He meant a power gain.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:41 PM
American Muscle

Good info there dplummer87... I'll go check out the llink. So is "Magnaflow" a Flowmaster product? Or is Magnaflow a seperate exhaust system?
Quick question...Are you planning on leaving the exhaust in the stock location or do you want it split out the rear or what?

I was talking about "power gains" but magnaflow and flowmaster are two seperate brands. Like I said, youtube 4.6 F150 Flowmaster and 4.6 F150 magnaflow and try and compare sounds to see what you're looking for. Keep in mind most people use the super 40 flowmaster because of the "old school muscle car sound" while magnaflow is for more of an aggressive tone without over doing it. Like I said, mine sounds nice without the cab noise that comes with flowmaster.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 PM
NashBulldawg

Originally Posted by dplummer87
Quick question...Are you planning on leaving the exhaust in the stock location or do you want it split out the rear or what?

I was talking about "power gains" but magnaflow and flowmaster are two seperate brands. Like I said, youtube 4.6 F150 Flowmaster and 4.6 F150 magnaflow and try and compare sounds to see what you're looking for. Keep in mind most people use the super 40 flowmaster because of the "old school muscle car sound" while magnaflow is for more of an aggressive tone without over doing it. Like I said, mine sounds nice without the cab noise that comes with flowmaster.
Im guessing you like the Magnaflow? I just ordered one this morning in the 18in size and was a little worried about cabin drone, sounds like you dont have any? Is yours SI/DO? What size pipes did you use?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:20 PM
American Muscle

Originally Posted by NashBulldawg
Im guessing you like the Magnaflow? I just ordered one this morning in the 18in size and was a little worried about cabin drone, sounds like you dont have any? Is yours SI/DO? What size pipes did you use?
SI/DO...I think I used 2.5 in 3" out. Not sure. I forget now. But on the highway I have no cab drone. It sounds like a truck should stock IMO.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:22 PM
American Muscle

2.5 in 2.5 out but with bigger tips. 12268 is the part number I used.

Quick Reply: Tell me about Flowmaster