Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Tailgate Lock not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Tailgate Lock not working

Just got an ARE camper top installed on my truck, which i got from carmax a couple months ago. I had even tried the lock that secures the spare tire in the bumper, but for whatever reason i didn't think to test the tailgate lock. Flash forward to now... The key i can use in the door locks, and the spare tire locks, work fine. however if i stick that same key in the tailgate lock it cannot be turned. So i would assume this means that tumbler is for a different key. Or could the tumbler just be bad? is there any way to easily try to fix it? I took the back panel off the tailgate and there is nothing keeping the lock arm from turning to disengage from being able to be locked or unlocked from the tailgate handle. It can be switch manually rather easily, and just seems that the tumbler will not spin because its for a different key or the lock is bad.

is there a way to get one for my currently working key? any other thoughts, input?
Old 06-29-2015, 05:56 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Remove the tailgate handle (you will see how easy it is with the back panel removed). Then take the lock and your key to any locksmith; they can change the tumblers in that lock to match your key.
The following users liked this post:
rpmahone (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Remove the tailgate handle (you will see how easy it is with the back panel removed). Then take the lock and your key to any locksmith; they can change the tumblers in that lock to match your key.
Ok , I'll do that today! Thanks!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:44 AM
Returning Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has your tailgate lock ever worked - perhaps someone has swapped the tail gate out to get the rear camera if it originally had one... My 2010 model has the rear camera mounted in the bottom of the large FORD emblem on the tailgate.

Your post has reminded me that I have never checked my 2010 truck on removing the keyed spare tire. I should do that at home so I won't have any surprises if and when I need to change tires on the road...

Roy Ken
Old 06-30-2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by RoyBraddy
Has your tailgate lock ever worked - perhaps someone has swapped the tail gate out to get the rear camera if it originally had one... My 2010 model has the rear camera mounted in the bottom of the large FORD emblem on the tailgate.

Your post has reminded me that I have never checked my 2010 truck on removing the keyed spare tire. I should do that at home so I won't have any surprises if and when I need to change tires on the road...

Roy Ken

I bought it from CARMAX a couple months ago and apparently never checked it, so, not sure. There's no camera in the ford emblem or on the handle of anywhere else. Was going to take it by the locksmith today or tomorrow like the original replier recommended.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-30-2015, 10:37 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

The Ignition Key should work in your tailgate lock...sounds like a tail gate swap was done...most likely due to a rear end job !!
rpmahone (07-01-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I had the same problem. Turned out all I had to do was spray a bunch of WD-40 in there and work the key in and out and turn it back and forth a little bit at a time. Within a couple minutes it had unfrozen and works perfectly.
The following 2 users liked this post by wrvond:
Andrew Coogan (06-02-2020), rpmahone (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by wrvond
I had the same problem. Turned out all I had to do was spray a bunch of WD-40 in there and work the key in and out and turn it back and forth a little bit at a time. Within a couple minutes it had unfrozen and works perfectly.

thanks for the suggestion. i overlook simple stuff like that. Definitely trying that tomorrow.. nothing to lose by trying that...

thanks!
Old 07-01-2015, 06:24 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Careful with WD-40; great stuff, but too much of it will capture and trap dirt in the lock. Best to use a powder type graphite lube for locks if you suspect they are binding.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mod (Ret.):
Andrew Coogan (06-02-2020), rpmahone (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 08:15 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

The WD-40 will soften and dissolve the corrosion, where powder lubricants won't. It is a good idea to wash the lock out, blow it dry, then lubricate with an actual lubricant once it is freed up.
rpmahone (07-01-2015)

Quick Reply: Tailgate Lock not working