Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Tail gate dampener

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tail gate dampener

I am looking at a deezee tailgate damper in my JC whiteny catalog and wondering if they are any good?
do they interfere with the tailgate in any way.

They say it will keep the tailgate from slamming down, I do not have any trouble with the tailgate but my son does.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I assume it's some sort of shock; like those used in SUV rear window hatches?

Don't know of them, but you're a good dad for being concerned for your son. I know I'd feel bad if mine got hurt when a tailgate slammed on him.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 PM

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...tfamilyid=2018
Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Funny, I just got finished installing the DeeZee one last weekend. If you aren't paying attention, that Ford tailgate will own you when it comes down. Installation was pretty easy, 10 minutes and it works as promised. Comes down nice and smooth. My only gripe is the cable and damper have to share the same space when the tailgate is up. Their solution with padding around the cable is a bit hokey, sometimes when you are putting up the tailgate you have to pay attention how that stuff bunches up in there, but it is what it is...
Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 PM

Exclamation

what is the deal with the padding?

How does the stuff bunch up? does the cable get pinched??

is it worth the $55 to 70 they re asking for it?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well it seems everyone (Nissan,etc) had the wisdom to put dampers on the tailgates standard except Ford. Ford obviously thought having a 50lb tailgate crack your hand and whack young children was not such a bad idea. So the Ford tailgate is fine with the standard cable. However, if you add a damper, it will create a pinch point with the cable. So DeeZee has this padding, heatshrink deal that keeps the cable from getting pinched between damper and tailgate. It works, but could have been thought through a little more.

1) The damper sits in behind the cable when you close the tailgate. So with the damper, cable and padding (to stop pinch point), it gets a little crowded. Tailgate will close without a problem, it just seems crowded.
2) Everyone seems to sell it, just google it and get the best price. Mine was around $60 from RealTruck.com
3) It does what is says, tailgate comes down nice and smooth. I am not sure of another setup to address this issue, so I guess its worth it if you have problems with the heavy tailgate dropping.
4) No tools required and no mods. Everything can be swapped back to original if you want to take it off. 10 minute job...
Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Truckin'Boatin'Bikin' Nut

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good evening all, I put my tailgate shock on a couple of weeks ago, and so far no issue with the cable. I imagine the original design did not have the pad, so with the cable alone being between the gate and taillight, it would cause a pretty ugly scene. It does work flawlessly. It is real nice when your hands are full and all you do is flip the handle and scoot over.
FYI, type in "F-150 tailgate assist" on E-Bay....$45 shipped!
Old 01-16-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check ebay. I just got one - an open box return but guaranteed to have all parts for a mere $21.50.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ebayed mine got it brand new for $35 shipped. $21.50 is a sweet deal, nice
Old 01-17-2009, 08:23 AM

I am looking on ebay now, but I have to wait until payday to get them

Quick Reply: Tail gate dampener