Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

tackled my wheel actuators today

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default tackled my wheel actuators today

Well after a couple weeks of driving around with the "chain dragging" sound i decided to buy a wheel actuator and change the one i thought was bad.....
Started my day jacking the truck up to remove the wheels and i spun the wheels in the air to see if they had the horrible clicking noise, both wheels had it.
After finally getting the lug nuts off (previous owner over tightened them like crazy) and removing the actuator i found not only the teeth on the actuator were eaten up but so were the teeth on the hub assembly. Called around to parts stores and finally got parts. Cost me $460 for 2 actuators and 2 new hub assemblies. Got the passenger side replaced and moved to the driver side to only find that 1/2 the vacuum suction line looks cut. Called ford and have to wait til friday to pick it up and that cost me $96.

So my advice. if you hear a grinding noise find the leak or bad solenoid or whatever part has failed so you dont have to replace all the stuff i had to replace thanks to the previous owner.

also i found a great youtube video for the actuator change.
says he is a ford mechanic.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:42 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry to hear but glad you got it fixed! I had to do both of mine, hopefully they hold for a while
Old 07-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Ye-ouch on that vacuum line price! I just buy [single] lines at a parts place and tape them together. You saved yourself hundreds of $$ in labor though.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys!
I thought about replacing just with single lines but I figured I would replace it with what is suppose to be there.
Glad these trucks aren't that hard to work on!

Quick Reply: tackled my wheel actuators today