Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Switch from conventional to synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch from conventional to synthetic oil

I recently made the switch to being a truck owner and couldn't be happier with my decision on a 2006 FX4 Super Crew. My question is, how do the other members feel about switching from conventional oil to synthetic oil? My truck currently has 35,000 miles on it and has had the oil changed regularly every 3,000 miles (so I was told). Is it too late at this point to switch, or is that just a myth that you can't switch from conventional to synthetic motor oil after so many miles?

Thanks for any input or advice.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 AM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

That's the first thing I did or do on any automobile I own especially my truck. Myth, never heard that one HOWEVER I have heard you can't switch back from synthetic oil to regular because gaskets will leak...Might also be a myth but it's just what I heard.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Why would you switch? The common synthetics like mobil 1 are junk oil. Believe me,I have seen the analysis firsdt hand. Along woth load tests. Why don't you check out www.bobistheoilguy.com
That guy knows his stuff. I met him at a friend of mines house. Her dad is an oil analyst as well.

But if you do switch,go with something like schaeffer synthetic. Or even royal purple.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 AM

Also, suggestions on preferred synthetic oils are welcomed.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by motard1
Why would you switch? The common synthetics like mobil 1 are junk oil. Believe me,I have seen the analysis firsdt hand. Along woth load tests. Why don't you check out www.bobistheoilguy.com
That guy knows his stuff. I met him at a friend of mines house. Her dad is an oil analyst as well.

But if you do switch,go with something like schaeffer synthetic. Or even royal purple.
That's interesting. I can comment on the differences between synthetic and regular oil only from the perspective of my motorcycle, but I believe the bike shows the superiority of synthetic in a way no truck can. On my bike, the clutch is actually in the oil reservoir. For the first few miles you ride with regular oil because it's more abrasive than synthetics. At the 600 mile maintenance you are swapped to synthetics.

Under the old oil my shifting was hard and clunky, every low gear shift required some force on the shifter to get it into gear. The moment I rode off from the synthetic swap I had to be sure I actually hit my shifter lever because I honestly felt nothing. There was no clunk, no effort, it just dropped into first gear. It's obviously far superior for lubricating my clutch. I'll entrust the rest of my bike to it. Also, it goes forever between oil changes (12k, just swap filter at 6k and again this is on the bike).

Now the tolerances on my bike are tight, if the f-150 tolerances are looser and you burn oil obviously the expense of adding synthetic periodically would add up. If you are through your engine break in period (do trucks even have that?) and you've allowed for a good lapping of the cylinder walls I see no reason not to swap to synthetic. I especially see no reason why it would be worse, with the exception of in a truck that burns oil.

I know of no manufacturer who loads up with synthetic on a spanking new engine though. It's too smooth to actually aid in break in.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Here we go again...another oil debate. Might as well add in the oil filter too!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bucko
Here we go again...another oil debate. Might as well add in the oil filter too!
No debating here. I've seen the tests first hand and wasn't impressed with the everyday synthetics. There is no gain,except in cost,from using synthetics.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Royal Purple ALL THE WAY!

5w20 Engine
RP Transmission
75w90 Differential

Now THATS THINKIN WITH YOUR DIPSTICK, JIMMY!
Old 04-12-2010, 01:03 PM

No debating here. I've seen the tests first hand and wasn't impressed with the everyday synthetics. There is no gain,except in cost,from using synthetics.
http://me.engin.umich.edu/autolab/Pu...e/P2002_03.PDF

Now I am not a synthetic fanboi, but it seems you can find support for any side of any discussion on the internet.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatchetman240
http://me.engin.umich.edu/autolab/Pu...e/P2002_03.PDF

Now I am not a synthetic fanboi, but it seems you can find support for any side of any discussion on the internet.
Although this is an interesting article those test were done on an diesel engine. Just a FYI.

On another note to the OP, I have recently switched from semi-synth to full MC synthetic. I have had no issues switching oils. I have researched oil brands and the MC brand is one of the better ones out there.

Kev

Quick Reply: Switch from conventional to synthetic oil