Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Sweet Electric Fan mod 04 5.4 AC override feature

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Wink Sweet Electric Fan mod 04 5.4 AC override feature

Hey guys, I recently took the plunge and installed a brand new Motorcraft 18" 4000CFM GT500 Variable speed electric fan and a slow ramp-up 3 speed controller in my 04. I modified the original fan shroud to accommodate the new fan so that I'm drawing 100% of the air through the entire surface of the rad. I have pictures if you guys wanna see....

200 amp beefier alternator (foreground). Notice the small Overdrive pulley. Maximum amps are reached at 1300rpm. The stock 110amp alt in the background is 3 days old (remanufactured) and is for sale.

Anyway, I originally hooked up the AC trigger wire to the positive wire heading to the AC clutch right underneath the upper coolant hose, and I hooked the ignition wire to Pin 51 on the PCM connector C175b on the firewall.
Everything works as it should, except I didn't like that the fan would ramp up to high speed every time the the AC clutch would cycle on and off.

So, I logged in to my allDATAdiy account and did some research. After several hours of looking at diagrams, I found the signal wire that is grounded when the AC system is activated with the AC button and the green light on the dash. It's a Violet wire that runs to the right side of the instrument cluster.

Pin 2 Violet on connector C220b

I rigged up a relay using the wires from the same connector as follows:

30 BK/LG Pin 9 (Black w/ Light Green stripe) 12V+ battery feed
85 VT Pin 2 (Violet) 12V- ground activated when AC system is commanded on from dash switch
86 PK/BK Pin 17 (Pink w/ Black stripe) 12V+ In Run or Accessory. Tie an additional wire to this feed and output to the fan controller ignition connection.
87 --> Output to the AC high speed Fan controller wire 12V+ output.

Now, when I activate the AC system the fan override come on and runs regardless of the state of the ac clutch. I feel that the result is that the fan will continue to cool down the condenser in between cycles and voltage spikes/drops are nonexistent thanks to it not ramping up and down with the ac clutch.

Thoughts?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:04 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sigmanf150
Hey guys, I recently took the plunge and installed a brand new Motorcraft 18" 4000CFM GT500 Variable speed electric fan and a slow ramp-up 3 speed controller in my 04. I modified the original fan shroud to accommodate the new fan so that I'm drawing 100% of the air through the entire surface of the rad. I have pictures if you guys wanna see.... 200 amp beefier alternator (foreground). Notice the small Overdrive pulley. Maximum amps are reached at 1300rpm. The stock 110amp alt in the background is 3 days old (remanufactured) and is for sale. Anyway, I originally hooked up the AC trigger wire to the positive wire heading to the AC clutch right underneath the upper coolant hose, and I hooked the ignition wire to Pin 51 on the PCM connector C175b on the firewall. Everything works as it should, except I didn't like that the fan would ramp up to high speed every time the the AC clutch would cycle on and off. So, I logged in to my allDATAdiy account and did some research. After several hours of looking at diagrams, I found the signal wire that is grounded when the AC system is activated with the AC button and the green light on the dash. It's a Violet wire that runs to the right side of the instrument cluster. Pin 2 Violet on connector C220b I rigged up a relay using the wires from the same connector as follows: 30 BK/LG Pin 9 (Black w/ Light Green stripe) 12V+ battery feed 85 VT Pin 2 (Violet) 12V- ground activated when AC system is commanded on from dash switch 86 PK/BK Pin 17 (Pink w/ Black stripe) 12V+ In Run or Accessory. Tie an additional wire to this feed and output to the fan controller ignition connection. 87 --> Output to the AC high speed Fan controller wire 12V+ output. Now, when I activate the AC system the fan override come on and runs regardless of the state of the ac clutch. I feel that the result is that the fan will continue to cool down the condenser in between cycles and voltage spikes/drops are nonexistent thanks to it not ramping up and down with the ac clutch. Thoughts?
when do you start accepting customers?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:05 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Seriously though...GREAT WORK!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by johnny_tucson
Seriously though...GREAT WORK!
Thanks for the support! It took some time to figure out but I think I got it working really well. Throttle response has increased a lot since there is no more massive clutch fan. In all honesty I had more trouble burping the cooling system than I did wiring this whole thing up!

I was thinking about making an instructional post how-to but I'm lazy
Old 05-26-2014, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[MENTION=176043]sigmanf150[/MENTION]: Hi, really it is awesome work. I like the way you make the cooling fan independent from the AC clutch and as you mentioned it increased the throttle response that is great. Could you please make the instructional post as it will provide the valuable information?
The following users liked this post:
06Beast (05-27-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 09:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

do the instructional post it will help us all.
The following users liked this post:
06Beast (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 09:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by colohunter
do the instructional post it will help us all.
I agree with this guy^^^^^^^^
Old 05-28-2014, 09:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you post the part numbers and where you got them from?
Old 05-28-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

I demand you make an fully illustrated post. Your laziness should not over ride my laziness to find all the needed information on my own.

Since, IMHO, my laziness trumps yours, proceed with said post.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:42 PM

Ok guys.... You twisted my arm!!! Instructional post "How-To" to follow this evening, with part numbers and useful information!!

Quick Reply: Sweet Electric Fan mod 04 5.4 AC override feature