Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Swaping cluster and what mean reflashing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swaping cluster and what mean reflashing?

I know there is other post about this but i would love to have the easiest way ever to get answer.

Hi guys. Please let make this clear and really easy. I am not talking about any Lariat or any King Ranch. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7

CAN WE SWAP THESE CLUSTER JUST PLUG AND PLAY WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING ELSE THAN REMOUVE, UNPLUG AND REPLUG. PLEASE IT WILL BE SO NICE IF YOU CAN BE REALLY SHORT ON YOUR ANSWER. ALSO WHAT MEAN REFLASHING.

1: SWAP XL to XL AND DO WE NEED A REFLASING?

2: SWAP XL TO XLT AND DO WE NEED A REFLASING?

3: SWAP XLT TO XLT AND DO WE NEED A REFLASING?

4: SWAP XLT TO FX4 AND DO WE NEED A REFLASING?

5 SWAP FX4 TO FX4 AND DO WE NEED A REFLASING?

6: WHAT MEAN REFLASHING?

7: what mean the letters when you buy it from salvage yard? (exemple BA TO BC OR CB TO CC)

Thank you much and please make this super quick and easy!!

Last edited by husky601; 03-21-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by husky601
I know there is other post about this but i would love to have the easiest way ever to get answer.

Hi guys. Please let make this clear and really easy. I am not talking about any Lariat or any King Ranch. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7

CAN WE SWAP THESE CLUSTER JUST PLUG AND PLAY WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING ELSE THAN REMOUVE, UNPLUG AND REPLUG. PLEASE IT WILL BE SO NICE IF YOU CAN BE REALLY SHORT ON YOUR ANSWER. ALSO WHAT MEAN REFLASHING.

1: SWAP XL to XL AND DO WE NEED A REFLASING?

2: SWAP XL TO XLT AND DO WE NEED A REFLASING?

3: SWAP XLT TO XLT AND DO WE NEED A REFLASING?

4: SWAP XLT TO FX4 AND DO WE NEED A REFLASING?

5 SWAP FX4 TO FX4 AND DO WE NEED A REFLASING?

6: WHAT MEAN REFLASHING?

7: what mean the letters when you buy it from salvage yard? (exemple BA TO BC OR CB TO CC)

Thank you much and please make this super quick and easy!!
As far as I know all can be swapped without the need for a reflash. But if the cluster is being swapped from a truck with a BCM to one without certain things (door ajar, dome light on door open, key in ignition, belt minder, lights on warning) will not work until you either flash the cluster with the clusters as-built data or add a BCM. The only cluster features that wont work would be the compass and temp display until the extra hardware is added.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:58 AM

What mean BCM and I would like to know what mean reflash? On my understanding that mean I can swap my XL for XL T or FX4 without doing anything, just plug and play and everything is going to work like before with my original Cluster right?
Old 03-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by husky601
What mean BCM and I would like to know what mean reflash? On my understanding that mean I can swap my XL for XL T or FX4 without doing anything, just plug and play and everything is going to work like before with my original Cluster right?
BCM stands for Body Control Module. In the higher trims it controls keyless entry, remote keyless entry, power windows and locks and auto lamps as well as some interior lighting and alert functions that in the XL and STX are performed by the cluster itself.

If you swap an XLT cluster into an XL (as I have), if you dont add a BCM to the truck you lose the functions that the original cluster covered because it was lacking a BCM. Reflashing the cluster enables those functions on the replacement cluster allowing it to work like the original.

I am in the process of installing a BCM into my truck because I am also going to be adding power locks and windows in the near future and would like it to work as stock (plus it saved a hundred bucks at the dealer to have its as-built data updated). If you have a good pick-a-part yard near you and are comfortable with wiring and wiring diagrams, I would strongly suggest you go the same route.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:44 AM

Sweet, now it's clear!! I did change my Cluster yesterday on my XLT. I swap it against at FX4 and everything was plug and play and works great!! Thank you for your time!!

Quick Reply: Swaping cluster and what mean reflashing?