Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Suspension Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 09:55 AM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Suspension Maintenance

2004 Fx4 with 106k. Do you guys reccomend replacing front end suspention parts such as upper control arms, ball joints, tie rods etc as a maintenance type procedure even though I currently don't have anything really wrong other than the fact that everything just looks a little worn out. Theres no grease fittings either on anything so its not like I can do that. Im not looking for work but with the age and milege of my truck Im just wondering and whenever Im under the front end looking around I kind of start thinking............should I? There are some decently priced packages at Rock Auto etc and I would'nt be tackling it till spring. Thanks
Old 01-17-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its was quite the job but I think its worth it overall. Giver!
The following users liked this post:
Tommy J (01-18-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Check everything for excessive slack and replace items as needed. If the boots are intact and the joints aren't leaking grease out, I would let them ride.

Some might say you could use a needle to grease the parts, but needles don't get the grease into the ball and socket where it needs to be.
Tommy J (01-18-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 09:29 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I just replaced my front struts and UCA's I had 117K miles on mine. I didn't have any noticeable issue with my upper ball joints or upper bushings, but since I was replacing the struts I decided to do UCA's while I was in there. After the job, I cut the boot off off one of the original upper ball joints and it still had grease in there and the ball and socket were adequately greased as well. They actually looked to be in perfect shape. The bushings on the UCA's were also fine. So in retrospect I don't think I needed to replace them at all. So in my opinion, unless you have a torn boot or can see some slop in your upper ball joints, I'd say leave them alone.
Tommy J (01-18-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

I had mine done a few months back. I took it to my shop because I knew it needed tie rod ends, but ended up out the door with upper control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar end links, and ball joints, to the tune of $1500 for all Moog parts, and a one-time replacement on the UCAs.
All I can say, is it was so worth it. Drives better than new now.
Of course you can do the work yourself, to save quite a bit of money. I usually do all my own work, but I had no time to get it done, plus it would need an alignment after the work anyways.
Tommy J (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Personally I would not change anything that is not showing wear but I don't have the money to toss around like that.

There is no reason to change parts that are not worn other than spending money. None of the mentioned parts have a habit of failure causing dangerous conditions. Rather they fail slowly with noticeable symptoms.

However, to each his own. If you can afford unnecessary repairs and it makes you feel better about your vehicle then so be it. To answer the question, it is a waste of money but the money is your's to waste.

I change when needed and use lifetime warranty parts.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
Personally I would not change anything that is not showing wear but I don't have the money to toss around like that.

There is no reason to change parts that are not worn other than spending money. None of the mentioned parts have a habit of failure causing dangerous conditions. Rather they fail slowly with noticeable symptoms.

However, to each his own. If you can afford unnecessary repairs and it makes you feel better about your vehicle then so be it. To answer the question, it is a waste of money but the money is your's to waste.

I change when needed and use lifetime warranty parts.
I hear ya. I just was'nt sure if some of those parts are worn out with time and mileage. I don't want to do it just to do it. I have enough things that do need to be done. Both valve cover gaskets and some steering lines when it gets warmer. Thats why I posed my question the way I did. Thanks for the input
Old 01-19-2016, 09:49 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Checking for wear is not that difficult. Check out some you tube videos for assistance.

In it simplest form you are looking for movement that should not be there. Up and down or side to side motion in ball joints. They should only pivot, not move laterally or vertically. Jack up the truck and support under the LCA. Use a long pry bar or even a 2x4 and pry up on the tire while watching the ball joints for movement. This is easier with a second person.

Tie rods, same idea but you can use the wheel and tire as your fulcrum. With the wheel off the ground grab on the sides and look for movement before the steering parts move. If that is there look for where it it happening. That is your worn part. Again they should pivot and not move laterally or vertically. While you are at it grab the top and bottom of the wheel and attempt to move it. Movement here usually means a bearing issue.

Change only what is showing movement and buy lifetime warranty parts like Moog. My experience lately is that last no longer than their cheaper cousins but at least they honour the warranty.
Tommy J (01-21-2016)

Quick Reply: Suspension Maintenance