Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suspension

Has anyone heard of installing air bags to lift a truck? I have a Rize kit know and love it, the rear is springs and blocks and make it a little rough (it is better ride than any kit I've had before). Just thinking??
Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Possible for the rear, not so much for the front.

How much lift are you looking to add?
Old 09-15-2012, 01:41 AM

Not for increased ride height, it's more for better ride quality. I already have an 8in lift. It utilizes the stock shocks. I was trying to see if I could do air bags in the back, and maybe like coil over airbag in the front? Plus I use my truck to haul my boat around a lot.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:46 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by danielfjr81
Not for increased ride height, it's more for better ride quality. I already have an 8in lift. It utilizes the stock shocks. I was trying to see if I could do air bags in the back, and maybe like coil over airbag in the front? Plus I use my truck to haul my boat around a lot.
So are you looking to eliminate the Rear Leaf Springs? That would be your best bet for improving the ride quality however you would then need to convert to a 4-link in the back and AFAIK nobody makes an Air Bag Suspension W/ Leaf Spring Delete for the F150, seen a couple on Super Duty's and they are really slick!

If your just stacking an airbag on top of your leaf springs you won't notice any ride difference as this is strictly for stiffening your suspension for payload/towing purposes. I've seen people add them and say it rides better but your still using the leaf springs + whatever spring rate the bags add on top of that so you increase the stiffness.

The Front Suspension might be doable, the ones I have seen are just an air bag with a shock running straight through them, so you could just get that setup and then the spacer from your lift kit on top of that like a normal Coil Over setup.

Last edited by BassAckwards; 09-15-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:56 AM

Thanks for that info! Yeah I saw the 4 link system but it looks like that's intended for lowering trucks. But I was thinking like you adding and airbag ontop of the spring doesn't seem like you would get much difference. Appreciate your help

Quick Reply: Suspension