Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

SuperCrew Lariat Component Speakers in Rear Doors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 03:25 AM
Novice Angler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SuperCrew Lariat Component Speakers in Rear Doors?

I was curious if anyone has forged a path on installing component speakers in the rear doors of a supercrew F150. It seems the front doors are designed to hold a remote tweeter, but the rear doors expect a coaxial. I have four component speakers I'd like to install in this cab. Wondering what people have done for a remote tweeter. Appreciate hearing anyone's experience on this topic.

Rear door SuperCrew cab.

I'm pretty much on the fence between mounting the tweeter externally approximately where the one on the front door sits. Not too keen on drilling through my door panel, though.

thanks,

mtf
Old 10-03-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I hate to be that guy who doesn't answer the question, then tells you to do something else. But, if it's of any consequence:

Consider foregoing the components in the rear. Doing so will move your soundstage backward. Instead, some midbass in the back door (with the proper crossing over) would be a nice complement to the front components and a sub!

Originally Posted by mrtexasfreedom
I was curious if anyone has forged a path on installing component speakers in the rear doors of a supercrew F150. It seems the front doors are designed to hold a remote tweeter, but the rear doors expect a coaxial. I have four component speakers I'd like to install in this cab. Wondering what people have done for a remote tweeter. Appreciate hearing anyone's experience on this topic.

I'm pretty much on the fence between mounting the tweeter externally approximately where the one on the front door sits. Not too keen on drilling through my door panel, though.

thanks,

mtf
The following users liked this post:
mrtexasfreedom (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

I have never looked behind the rear doors in my SCrew but whats behind the speaker grille? Can you cut a hole in the door panel behind the speaker grille where the front ones are and drill out the little holes in the grille where the new tweeter is? Does the rear speaker grille come out like the front one?
Old 10-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Novice Angler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies!

Some time has passed, and I have gone the route recommended by Mijotu. Ordered some Cerwin Vega 6x8 coaxial speakers and installed both in the rear doors. Sounds OK. Not sure they're getting enough power from my aftermarket Alpine head unit. Planning to eventually put in a 5 channel class D amplifier running power to all four door speakers and some kind of sub box under the back seat.

StephenG- As for the grills in the rear door, they do not remove like the front doors. You have to take off the entire door panel, but it's actually not a big drama. The bigger problem is installing decent speakers in there that won't have the wires obstructing the window pane within the door. Seems like they need a standoff to pull them closer to the grill. That's on my to-do list now.

Anybody want to buy a set of two unopened JBL components?

Quick Reply: SuperCrew Lariat Component Speakers in Rear Doors?