Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

SuperChips Tuners...Which one???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default SuperChips Tuners...Which one???

I'm not asking which is the best, just want to know what the heck the difference is between all the darn things? I used to build an tune Mustangs with the SCT, Tweecer and AEM EMS's systems but this is the first time I have ever messed with a handheld unit on a late model Ford. I just got my 05 FX4 a few weeks back and love it but I have got to get this 5.4 woken up some!

I see the Live wire, flashpaq, X2 and X3 and max micro tuners and who knows what else I haven't seen, which does what and which one do I have to get to be able to program it myself? I don't need the custom tunes from Tryer or VMP, not knocking them, but I wanna do the tuning myself and of course for the least coin (just had my second child so budget is tight!)
Old 01-02-2009, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I'm not asking which is the best, just want to know what the heck the difference is between all the darn things? I used to build an tune Mustangs with the SCT, Tweecer and AEM EMS's systems but this is the first time I have ever messed with a handheld unit on a late model Ford. I just got my 05 FX4 a few weeks back and love it but I have got to get this 5.4 woken up some!

I see the Live wire, flashpaq, X2 and X3 and max micro tuners and who knows what else I haven't seen, which does what and which one do I have to get to be able to program it myself? I don't need the custom tunes from Tryer or VMP, not knocking them, but I wanna do the tuning myself and of course for the least coin (just had my second child so budget is tight!)
The superchips is very easy to install. I did it myself without any problems
Old 01-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the XcalIII then so you have the best cotrol. Do you have the software already? Avoid hyperjunk and Superchumps.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:30 PM
fitz888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sct or diablo preditor are the only ajustable tuners i know of.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

You could get the SCT livewire too if you want to monitor PID's, but the XcalIII is more cost effective. There is a company that customs the Edge called Power Hungry Performance, but since you can do your own tunes that might be a no go.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:19 PM

Last time I checked, Superchips and "SCT" were one and the same... why do folks say stay away from superchips? From what I remember, SCT was "Superchips Tuning or superchips computer tuning" or something of that variant. Is this not the case anymore?
Old 01-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCT Guy 3
Mike, it's not a retarded question at all. In fact, it's one we get asked a lot. Superchips Custom Tuning (SCT) is a separate company from Superchips, but we are aligned with them. They own part of us, but we have different missions as companies. They deal with retail sales and stock vehicles, whereas we deal with mainly sales to our dealers and modified vehicles. We both offer chips for diesels, but they are not the same. To try to stem some of the confusion, we rece

So, superchumps is plug and play and SCT is custom, datalogging, etc.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:17 PM

Well that clears things up, thanks SinCity! Good info.

Now, SCT has so many darn tuners, I'm guessing the XCal3 is the best one? Do I have to purchase additional software in order to custom tune the parameters in it?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Well that clears things up, thanks SinCity! Good info.

Now, SCT has so many darn tuners, I'm guessing the XCal3 is the best one? Do I have to purchase additional software in order to custom tune the parameters in it?
Well, there is this
http://www.sctflash.com/PRPFord.php

and this...
http://www.sctflash.com/ADVFord.php

Don't know what you have or how much these are???
Old 01-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Thanks again sincity, the SCT ProRacer software is what I used before on the stangs only we used the 4 and 5 position switch chips. I see that it is also able to be used with the X Cal flash devices. Its a shame my license for it is expired though as I haven't owned a Mustang nor tuned cars in years...

$400 for the Xcal and $400 for the PRP software = $800... think I might just go with the custom tuned Xcal from VMP

Quick Reply: SuperChips Tuners...Which one???