Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Supercharged: Belt chirp on shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:52 AM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Supercharged: Belt chirp on shift

So been looking at this issue off and on since it started to see what the choice solutions are.

First, the issue. Much like the lightnings, with a firm(upgraded) shift and heavy or WOT throttle, there is a belt that chirps. Most say it is the serpentine belt.

What I have tried:
Remove both blower and serp belt, clean pulleys and belts, re-install. Chirp comes back.
Upgrade main serp belt to a gaterback, this one is even slightly shorter with the hopes of more tension. This makes me mad, it was a bitch to do, no change.

Now before I go throwing $$$ at it for new belts, tensioners and idlers, anything else I should look at? I have a replacement blower belt, and figure I would replace the blower idlers and maybe the serp idlers to aluminum units, and again clean all the pulleys.

Anything else?
Old 11-16-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

My stock 5,4L chirp too on the Edge towing(2) setting when at WOT in 1-2 and 2-3 shift.
it doens't really bother me
Old 11-17-2015, 10:08 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

That chirp is considered a good thing....I have switched to gator back belts, gates belts and motorcraft. They all chirp.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a Roushcharger myself and I still get occasional belt chirp on my shifts also.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Double check the bearings on everything and see if there is anything sticking. I went nuts trying new belts, replaced the idler pulleys, replaced my alternator (the bearing had a squeak to it). No difference after all those changes. Turned out my fan clutch was toast so I wasted money on those other items.

You just need one part to be sticking a little bit and then you will get the chirp.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by scobar
So been looking at this issue off and on since it started to see what the choice solutions are.

First, the issue. Much like the lightnings, with a firm(upgraded) shift and heavy or WOT throttle, there is a belt that chirps. Most say it is the serpentine belt.

What I have tried:
Remove both blower and serp belt, clean pulleys and belts, re-install. Chirp comes back.
Upgrade main serp belt to a gaterback, this one is even slightly shorter with the hopes of more tension. This makes me mad, it was a bitch to do, no change.

Now before I go throwing $$$ at it for new belts, tensioners and idlers, anything else I should look at? I have a replacement blower belt, and figure I would replace the blower idlers and maybe the serp idlers to aluminum units, and again clean all the pulleys.

Anything else?
Maybe there is a slight misalignment of a pulley, a power steering pump with some in and out end play on the shaft, or weak auto tensioner.

If you examine your belt carefully, you may see one edge or rib of the belt is worn more than the other..

I hear you can swap to the bigger Ford V10 water pump pulley for more belt wrap.. The smooth pulleys have more slip tendencies then the ribbed pulleys..
Old 11-21-2015, 09:17 AM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by corey_lax
Double check the bearings on everything and see if there is anything sticking. I went nuts trying new belts, replaced the idler pulleys, replaced my alternator (the bearing had a squeak to it). No difference after all those changes. Turned out my fan clutch was toast so I wasted money on those other items.

You just need one part to be sticking a little bit and then you will get the chirp.
Originally Posted by Especial86
Maybe there is a slight misalignment of a pulley, a power steering pump with some in and out end play on the shaft, or weak auto tensioner.

If you examine your belt carefully, you may see one edge or rib of the belt is worn more than the other..

I hear you can swap to the bigger Ford V10 water pump pulley for more belt wrap.. The smooth pulleys have more slip tendencies then the ribbed pulleys..

I'll go over these things. It was about a year since I took the belts off and really looked at it, its a real treat with that second belt under there

Quick Reply: Supercharged: Belt chirp on shift