Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Sunroof repair (sort of)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 11:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Sunroof repair (sort of)

I've read seemingly hundreds of threads about repairing/replacing the broken tracks of the F-150 sunroofs but can't find an answer to keep a broken one closed. Mine broke back in May and fortunately I was able to close it and it hasn't leaked since. So I was not concerned with fixing it since it is not a big deal to me to have a functioning sunroof. But at highway speeds it catches air and flops up and down since the back portion of the sunroof is no longer able to attach to the track arms. Even when I close the door the sunroof pops up at the back from the air pressure. My first concern was with the entire glass blowing out and ending up on someone else's car going down the highway. But after further inspection the front part of the sunroof is securely attached and is not coming out. The noise at highway speeds is driving me nuts though. So I'm trying to figure out how how lock the sunroof to keep it from flopping up and down going down the road. I'm pretty sure the "clips" that attach the back portion of the sunroof to the track arms is what broke. Is that the only way to lock it down? Any other ideas to get my sunroof locked down permanently?

For reference - 2007 F-150 Scab FX-4
Old 01-05-2016, 11:47 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

I have repaired mine with a kit from sunroofdr.com. Repair took 3 hours and cost ~$126.
From memory of the unit, I do not think there is a proper repair short of the replacement parts.
I have seen posted where people have gone up top and used silicon to secure the sunroof in place. Never to be opened again.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:15 PM

Thanks.

The silicone thing crossed my mind, but being that it doesn't leak now I don't want to really mess with the seal. I've researched the repair and found the repair kit you are referencing and will go that route if I cannot find a way to lock down the glass some other way.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, the coat hanger hooks are a bear to get off, until you see how simple it is!!!!
Old 04-19-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 F150 sunroof

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
I have repaired mine with a kit from sunroofdr.com. Repair took 3 hours and cost ~$126.
From memory of the unit, I do not think there is a proper repair short of the replacement parts.
I have seen posted where people have gone up top and used silicon to secure the sunroof in place. Never to be opened again.

I have seen several people that used parts from sunroofdr and I looked at parts they sell. Ford sells the factory repair parts. But three dealers told me that the complete track assembly needs replaced. I ask about sunroofdr and their parts kit did not mention track replacement. The dealer said the track almost always has to be replaced?????.Dealer repair $2000.00.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:06 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

The dealers DO NOT sell any replacement parts..... They sell the entire track assembly.
I went into a dealership where I was welcomed into the repair area. Spoke with the man that made the replacements. He took me to a storage area where I inspected numerous tracks that had been replaced and were waiting on their trip to the dump. All of the failures were similar with broken struts (possibly wrong name). No damage to the tracks whatsoever. It's not a matter of the track needing to be replaced - it's the Ford policy. They do not sell any repair parts for the sunroof. (If Ford now sells sunroof parts, it is new policy. They did not do so in 2012).
From there I ordered parts from sunroofdr.com for $126. Been almost 4 years now and not even a strange sound. Sunroof works perfectly.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:51 AM
NIGHT TRAIN

Received 184 Likes on 165 Posts

sunroofdr.com is the answer and about 4-6 hours

mine has been working perfectly since i replaced the tracking.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:19 AM

I finally bit the bullet and ordered the kit from sunroofdr.com. Worked an evening or two taking my time getting everything taken apart and ready for headliner removal. Also removed the passenger seat which seemed to be a big help. With the help of a buddy we had the repair done in a few short hours. Has worked like new for the past month or so since the repair. Not the easiest job in the world, but certainly doable.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:38 AM
NIGHT TRAIN

Received 184 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTerp
I finally bit the bullet and ordered the kit from sunroofdr.com. Worked an evening or two taking my time getting everything taken apart and ready for headliner removal. Also removed the passenger seat which seemed to be a big help. With the help of a buddy we had the repair done in a few short hours. Has worked like new for the past month or so since the repair. Not the easiest job in the world, but certainly doable.
doable and a thousand dollar savings (or more) in labor....
Old 04-20-2016, 09:04 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,582 Likes on 6,197 Posts

Did you all have to use pop-rivets on the new parts?

Quick Reply: Sunroof repair (sort of)