Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Sub a lot louder when truck is off, any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sub a lot louder when truck is off, any thoughts?

Not sure if this is a dumb question or if something is actually wrong. So when I'm driving down the road I have to turn the volume way up to feel the sub. But when I get to where I'm going and shut the truck down, I can be on very low volume and shakes the whole truck. Maybe the alternator isn't strong enough? It is a 5 channel amp by the way.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:10 AM
On more meds than ymeski

Received 651 Likes on 379 Posts

Could it have sometime to do with the speed volume feature? I know with my truck it is set to increase volume quote a bit as I speed up.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:23 AM

Good thought. It is an aftermarket 2 din head unit but I'll look into that
Old 08-14-2014, 12:31 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Where are you getting power to the amp? I'd imagine/hope directly off of the battery with a remote wire from the deck?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by homer
Where are you getting power to the amp? I'd imagine/hope directly off of the battery with a remote wire from the deck?
That is correct.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 131 Likes on 121 Posts

Are your Windows down when driving or do you have loud exhaust
Old 08-14-2014, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Krack499
Not to loud of an exhaust. Sometimes Windows are closed. But when I'm parked everything on my dash shakes a bit.But when I'm driving, they move a little. So I might just be crazy haha. Or something is wrong. I understand it's kind of hard to help on this question
Old 08-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Just Creepin

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Krack499

This is on the right track. If you have powerful enough subs, cracking the windows will make them little louder (or a lot louder but gotta have big subs). Similar in a way of a ported box will be louder than a sealed box. Opening your windows makes your car 'ported'.

So itll be louder but depends on how drastic it is. Or if windows are up weather truck is off or on then rather moot point about the windows.

Ive pulled my system in and out and upgraded it in varying cars over the years. Never had it sound louder when vehicle is off. Only of windows crack.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:25 AM

I'll Give it a shot but it's not very much of a sub. Just a 10 inch kicker comp r. It's was crazy when I first got it, but I may of pushed it to hard. Still not bad tho. Only listen to country too. It's in the smallest sealed box I could find to
Old 08-14-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 131 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJcode

This is on the right track. If you have powerful enough subs, cracking the windows will make them little louder (or a lot louder but gotta have big subs). Similar in a way of a ported box will be louder than a sealed box. Opening your windows makes your car 'ported'.

So itll be louder but depends on how drastic it is. Or if windows are up weather truck is off or on then rather moot point about the windows.

Ive pulled my system in and out and upgraded it in varying cars over the years. Never had it sound louder when vehicle is off. Only of windows crack.
I was actually gonna say road noise (wind from windows being down or loud exhaust ect) covers up the sound so you'll have to turn it up to hear it where as when it's off there's not other noises covering up music so you can hear it easier

Quick Reply: Sub a lot louder when truck is off, any thoughts?