Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Stupid K&n Pos!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid K&n Pos!!

About a year ago i bought and installed a K&N 63 series aircharger CAI. When i installed it i thought it looked a little cheesy but i kept it anyway. It is not even a real CAI like they claim. It pulls air mostly from the engine compartment. So about a week ago my truck started making weird noise. I popped the hood to find the filter laying at the bottom of the engine compartment. The pipe by the throttle body had also came loose. I was pissed. When i installed it i must have double checked myself at least ten times so i know it was tight. I cleaned the filter about 5 months ago and also checked it then. I did notice things were loose and tightened them again but didn't think much of it. The next day i was telling my boss about my problem and he told me he had the same problem with his. He ended up getting an airaid. I wish i had joined this forum before i purchased the K&N. I have noticed that not many people here run a K&N. I am thinking of taking it off and putting the stock set up back on until i can get something else. I am afraid that continued use may damage my truck. The intake tube might make a great extension for my shop vac. Ha ha. So any recomendations for a good CAI.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:02 PM

try roush
Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by mikes66
try roush
The roush CAI'S are just rebadged airaids. The only difference is the cost. They are sure proud of that roush emblem.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it fell appart, it had something to do with the instalation...
Old 12-22-2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ty
If it fell appart, it had something to do with the instalation...
Not likely. Like i said, i checked my work at least ten times before i finished. I think that it has something to do with the quality or lack of quality of the rubber couplers and or the hose clamps. If i was the only one with this problem then i would say it has something to do with the installation but i'm not. Recent conversations with local performance shops and trusted friends all seem to reveal a lack of quality from some of the K&N CAI kits. Most of the performance shops around here recommend the Volant CAI.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Ty

But none of the peices are broken?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ty
But none of the peices are broken?
That still doesn't mean they are the best parts for the application. A hose clamp does not have to break to be bad...and the rubber couplers are showing huge signs of wear and deterioration. A low quality hose clamp will work great at the time of installation but will not beable to hold and will back off over time. All of which point to a low quality product. Don't even get me started on the horrible mounting points chosen by K&N or the cheap metal plate they use to give the illusion that it might be a true CAI. Either you must own a K&N intake and like it or you just enjoy screwing with me. I have no dought that K&N makes great quality products that perform great (I love their filters) I just think they missed with this one.

Last edited by KIRT; 12-22-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Ty

No, I have the 77 series because I didnt want the plastic intake tube (that is the 63 series right) I had no problems with it, and that is in Northern Wi, where there is road salt to corode the parts, and -40 degree weather occationally to make them brittle, and I have had no problems with it. I also might be so "pro" k&n because I got the whole system for 200 shipped to my door from summit...
Old 12-23-2008, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any filter that needs to be oiled is a POS. k&n's will ruin your engine. if you can hold up a filter and see light through it then its not going to filter out the dirt. a factory filter is much better than one of these. seen many jeeps blow engines from running K&n's
Old 12-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubicon35
any filter that needs to be oiled is a POS. k&n's will ruin your engine. if you can hold up a filter and see light through it then its not going to filter out the dirt. a factory filter is much better than one of these. seen many jeeps blow engines from running K&n's
Total myth. Just about all performance filters use oil. Time to get facts straight. It's one thing to to voice your opinion about a product, but calling it a POS because it uses oil...

Please visit the question and answer sections of the CIA sites. Here's one to check out (read question 27 and 28):

http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm

They have done testing on their products, and will back them against the myths that are spread by un-informed folks who continue to spread wrong answers.

By all means, feel free to use the stock filters if you like.

To th original installer (Kirt), I strongley suggest you contact K&N and talk to a service rep. I bought a K&N CAI kit for my 2005 4.2 liter Ford a month ago, as it was on sale from a vendor posted here on this site. The kit was advertized to fit my application (2005), but the shield and tube did not compinsate for the mass airflow sensor and air temp sensor. I called, and they informed me that the early 2005 Fords with a 4.2 use the kit from a 2004. The sent me this kit at no charge, and sent me a shipper to send the old kit back. When the new kit arrived, the filter "box" for the 2004 kit was different, and I needed the box from the 2005 kit. I used a piece from the 2005 and most from the 2004. They were very understanding, and stood by their product.

Call them and explain your situation; even though your kit has been installed for awhile, I'm betting they will fix your problem. You'll find thier contact number on the link I provided above.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 12-23-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Stupid K&n Pos!!