Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Stumped with a light problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped with a light problem

Hello I was wondering if anyone has any input on the reoccurring problem I've been dealing with. My drivers side brake light continues to go out. I replace it and a couple days later it is out again. The thing that has me stumped is the running light, which is the same bulb, works fine so the bulb is not burnt out. I have gone through about six bulbs in the past month. I've tried contact cleaner and the electric grease but it still happens. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 78 Likes on 77 Posts

Sounds like you might have a short in the wiring to that light
Old 11-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Ford Man

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the bulb has 2 filaments, one for Brake (Bright)and one for running/park lamp(Dimmer). Does either of the filaments appear burned or broken in the old non functional bulb? When a new bulb is installed does it seem to operate normally (goes on only when brake is pressed, goes off afterwards) There are only a couple of possibilities for premature lamp failure, the lamp is stuck on and burns out, excessive vibration and a defective lamp. It is also possible but unlikely that the voltage is too high to the lamp (others would be burning out also) If you remove the bulb and it looks normal there may be a loose connection causing it not to work and when you remove the tail light the connection is restored until vibration loosens it again.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Stumped with a light problem