Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Stuck Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stuck Fuel Filter

I was hoping to get a little help with a stuck fuel filter on my 2005 F150.

I have the outgoing line disconnected already, that one came off easily. I'm stuck on the inlet.

When I went to swap out the fuel filter, the blue plastic clip on the intake was already broken. I was able to rotate the fuel filter inside the end of the fuel line and fish out all of the pieces of the blue clip. However, my filter is still stuck.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing holding my filter in place but it still won't pull out. I can rotate it in the end of the line fairly easily but it will not pull out.

Stuck Fuel Filter-brrwifh.jpg

Stuck Fuel Filter-hoqx1gb.jpg

What could possibly still be holding this thing in?
Old 08-26-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by swimstarguy
I was hoping to get a little help with a stuck fuel filter on my 2005 F150.

I have the outgoing line disconnected already, that one came off easily. I'm stuck on the inlet.

When I went to swap out the fuel filter, the blue plastic clip on the intake was already broken. I was able to rotate the fuel filter inside the end of the fuel line and fish out all of the pieces of the blue clip. However, my filter is still stuck.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing holding my filter in place but it still won't pull out. I can rotate it in the end of the line fairly easily but it will not pull out.

What could possibly still be holding this thing in?
There's a piece on the back side stuck in there. When I had that happen I took a piece of stiff wire and pushed it in on both sides and managed to get it to come loose.

It might also be possible to feed the wire around there from one side and push it out the other. To put it back together you can either buy a new clip or use a zip tie.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by CobraJeff27
There's a piece on the back side stuck in there. When I had that happen I took a piece of stiff wire and pushed it in on both sides and managed to get it to come loose.

It might also be possible to feed the wire around there from one side and push it out the other. To put it back together you can either buy a new clip or use a zip tie.
I made sure the back was cleared out again.

Stuck Fuel Filter-keubrcc.jpg

Stuck Fuel Filter-n0sktew.jpg

The pictures are kind of rough but you can see through the backs were I had cleared out the old blue clip. I'll check again if I had missed anything though.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:01 PM

I was unable to get the filter out so I cut the line and figured I'd splice the new end in.

Now I have a new problem.

I purchased a fuel line splice kit with an end for a fuel filter. The kit has two different sized lines with two different sized fittings pressed into the end. The fitting end that matches the size of my fuel filter does not match the size of my fuel line.

What do people typically do when they need to replace the end that attaches to the intake on the fuel filter?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

That looks like it been on there for more than 25,000 miles.. sorry .. never had to replace an end..
Old 08-27-2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
That looks like it been on there for more than 25,000 miles.. sorry .. never had to replace an end..
Definitely more than 25k.

I put the end I had cut off in a vice grip and pried out the filter.

Stuck Fuel Filter-kitgtjg.jpg

Part of the fuel line end fitting came off on the filter. I cannot get that round gasket/plastic thing off. Good and stuck.

I found some barbed fittings with reducers to make the fitting pressed on a 3/8" line fit down to the 5/16" line on the truck. Not ideal but I think I can make it work.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Serious corrosion ...

Quick Reply: Stuck Fuel Filter