Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Stuck Drivers Window

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Stuck Drivers Window

Short story is my driver window got stuck about 1/4 of the way up. All the other windows continued to operate. Eventually had the daughter press the UP button while I pulled up on the glass from the outside. There was mild slip and pop and the window went the rest of the way itself. Both the dealership and the local good guy said not to bring it in unless it happened again. Any ideas? Don't worry be happy?

Long story, which may not help, but could have some clues: I live at 2,000 feet and I had been camping for several days at about 8,000 ft elevation. Truck should handle that, but I didn't feel like jogging. The day before, I had driven maybe 7 miles on rough dirt and 5 miles on oh-my-god-i-wish-i-had-4WD dirt. This day, I went up to 10,000 ft, then down to 2,500 feet (from 75F to over 100 degrees). Did this twice going over a couple of mountains. Repeated the process going back, but that was after the window issue.

When the window stopped, I had rolled it down to talk to someone and then fumbled the buttons when rolling back up. Sort of punched up and down at the same time or one after the other very quickly. There was no sound associated with the stoppage. No clunk or whine; it just stopped. I checked the fuse, but of course, it was fine.

Anyway, I suspect this button stuff is the problem but I'm baffled as to how, or what actually happened. I'm wondering whether there is dirt/dust in the door that messed up the contacts. Maybe the conflicting button pushes popped it out of the track. OK, that one makes no sense but that's what it felt like when I pulled it up.

Thanks for listening!
Old 08-25-2016, 12:45 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

If you have time, take the door panel off and check the track. Lube pivots if needed, but they require virtually no maintenance. If all looks good, operate the switch with the door panel off/loose and watch the window. If all is Normal, could be a failing switch pack. They sell them relatively cheap on rock auto. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2016, 03:55 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

These year trucks use plastics in the rail system, and are known to fail after a few years. I'm betting the switch is fine, since it attempts to operate the window up, and down. The weight of the glass will always assist in making a window go down easily; it's the "up" motion that places a strain on a weak motor, or failing rail assembly.

If you search this on the 2004 to 2008 forum, you'll see threads dating way back to identify this common problem with the power windows.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks. That sounds like an easy check. It takes 2+ hours to take a single door panel off a Delorean.

I had two power gremlins today that have never happened before so it's remotely possible that there is something electrical going on. When I started the truck this afternoon, the blower would not come on. Finally gave up and slammed my drivers door and the blower kicked on instantly. About 30 minutes later on the same trip, I pushed the radio ON button and nothing happened. About 2 minutes later, the radio kicked on. It was 104 out and both units were lit up and all buttons functioned (changed the displays as they should). Just didn't produce sound or air.

For now, I'm going to treat the window as mechanical and do some forum reading. Also check the relays and track down the connectors that drive the radio and environment controls. Something's not right.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:58 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default I have lost 2 controls and whole regulator on drivers side .

Its not a bad job but the regulator and motor are all one assembly . It not that cheap either . Controls are cheaper .
Driver side fails first because it gets so much use . You tube shows how to do it .
Just don't let the window fall , duct tape and cardboard wedges .
Common problem .

Quick Reply: Stuck Drivers Window