Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Stuck in 4LO

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in 4LO

I think my truck is self destructing. The other day the check engine light cam on...an O2 sensor or 4. Today I had to back a car trailer up a sandy, rocky steep incline to retreave a car. I had to use 4HI and 4LO To get up the hill. We loaded the car onto the trailer, tied it down and left. As I was going up the street I noticed that when I turned the corner onto the street, I had already turned the switch to 2HI, it was still engaged in 4LO.
It would not come out of 4LO no matter what. I tried backing up, weaving left and right, tapped on the thing that engages the transfere case. Nothing!!! I had to drive it home with a car on the back in 4LO. It was a slow ride home!

Anyone have an idea what happened or have it happed?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by BJV269SS
I think my truck is self destructing. The other day the check engine light cam on...an O2 sensor or 4. Today I had to back a car trailer up a sandy, rocky steep incline to retreave a car. I had to use 4HI and 4LO To get up the hill. We loaded the car onto the trailer, tied it down and left. As I was going up the street I noticed that when I turned the corner onto the street, I had already turned the switch to 2HI, it was still engaged in 4LO.
It would not come out of 4LO no matter what. I tried backing up, weaving left and right, tapped on the thing that engages the transfere case. Nothing!!! I had to drive it home with a car on the back in 4LO. It was a slow ride home!

Anyone have an idea what happened or have it happed?
As for what is wrong with the 4x4 I really don't have any suggestions, but if your still stuck in 4 wheel try taking your battery cable off and putting it back on with the truck off but your ignition on. It worked for a truck I used to have that had a similar problem.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Never hurts to ask. Did you follow the shifting instructions to the letter?

Shifting to/from 4L (4WD Low)
1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop
2. Depress the brake
3. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, place the
transmission in N (Neutral); on vehicles equipped with a manual
transmission, depress the clutch.
4. Move the 4WD control to the desired position.
• If shifting into 4L (4WD Low), wait for the 4X4 LOW light in the
instrument cluster to turn on indicating the shift is complete.
• If shifting out of 4L (4WD Low), wait for the 4X4 LOW light in the
instrument cluster to turn off indicating the shift is complete.
Note: Some noise may be heard as the system shifts or engages; this is
normal.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:06 PM

With not much help from anyone here and not being able to find a set of service manuals I had to break down and leave the truck at the Ford dealer today. I was able to release the front hubs by jumping the vacuum solinoid behind the battery with a piece of vacuum line. That made it turn alot easier. The transfere case was still in LO range though. I'll keep everone posted.

Thanks for the Help! Atom your probably right...Did'nt want to just start replacing parts on a guess! The truck has a drive train policy on it. The dealer felt it would cost a $100.00 deductible. WEEEEL SEE!!!!!

Last edited by BJV269SS; 09-26-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Forgot last line
Old 09-26-2009, 10:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it sounds like the shift motor took a crap. probably just a shift motor issue, could be a dirty connection too maybe. worst case scenario transfer internals are jammed/broken.

Last edited by ATOM; 09-26-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:04 AM

keep you posted
Old 09-28-2009, 08:41 PM

Red face

Ok, here's the update. It was operator error! I admit it! The dealers mechanic got into the truck and shifted it into 2 HI. Jeru... You we right! I half *** tried your suggestion and decided that was not the problem. The dealer showed me what to do and it was what you said to do! All I can say is I feel like a dummy. My Chevy works without stopping in nutral so I figured the Ford would do the same thing. I know 2 different animals.
The dealer didn't charge me so I'm just feeling a little red faced

Trending Topics

Old 09-28-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

oh well, at least now you know and at least they didn't charge you.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:06 AM

yup! that's right!
Old 09-29-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by BJV269SS
Ok, here's the update. It was operator error! I admit it! The dealers mechanic got into the truck and shifted it into 2 HI. Jeru... You we right! I half *** tried your suggestion and decided that was not the problem. The dealer showed me what to do and it was what you said to do! All I can say is I feel like a dummy. My Chevy works without stopping in nutral so I figured the Ford would do the same thing. I know 2 different animals.
The dealer didn't charge me so I'm just feeling a little red faced

your not the only one.... i went to test drive my truck and while testing the 4lo managed to get it engaged but had to drive it back to the guy in 4lo and have him show me how to get it out..... lol

Quick Reply: Stuck in 4LO