Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Strange OBDII codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange OBDII codes

Hey guys, first post here, just got my 2005 F150 King Ranch (5.4L) a few weeks ago. I put an Edge Evolution CS2 programmer in it, and it worked great, until it threw the engine into Failsafe 2 days ago. So here's where it gets weird...

When it went to Failsafe, it did NOT have a check engine light, but I did see these codes on the Edge's diagnostic tool:
  • P2106 – Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power
  • P2135 – TP Sensors A and B Rationality - Plausibility Error

Upon restarting the engine, it came out of failsafe, so I reset the DTC codes and continued on my way. That day I did a lot of driving, and it went off 3 times (about every 80 miles). Naturally I thought it was the programmer, so I restored to stock settings and unplugged the programmer. Made it about 200 miles and then it happened again, so it's not the programmer.

So the weird part is it seems that other people reporting these codes are also reporting check engine lights and the truck not running properly, whereas mine still runs great and DOESN'T have the light on. Also, I can't find anybody else having this "rationality-plausibility error". Anyone know what this means?

Anybody have any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:30 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I would clean your throttle body and stand by to replace if that does not work.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:26 AM

Both of these codes are related to the position of your throttle, not necessarily the cleanliness of the throttle-body. If you use your scanner to reset the codes the "limp mode" should reset itself. This happened to me in my truck after going from a slow speed to full throttle. (didn't wanna miss that yellow light). If that doesn't work listen to the comment above me. This code SHOULDN'T warrant a replacement of your throttle body though. It's just your ECM saying "ey wot?"

edit: should have read your whole message. are you an aggressive driver? If you aren't take the throttle real light for a few days, and if that still doesn't work maybe listen to the comment above mine.

Last edited by Boomshockpow; 01-04-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:59 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Could be a throttle body or accelerator pedal problem. Check all the connections at the TB and pedal and see what happens.. You can watch TPS (accelerator position on your Edge).. It should read smooth 0-100%. If it doesn't read smooth then 1 of the 2 locations are your problem, the throttle body being the more common of the 2 points of failure.. A simple TB cleaning like already suggested may a quick and easy fix..
Old 01-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomshockpow
Both of these codes are related to the position of your throttle, not necessarily the cleanliness of the throttle-body.
cleanliness affects the position
Old 01-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Mark

lol
Old 01-04-2016, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by LaMartian
cleanliness affects the position
Yeah, I was meaning to say the position of the TPS and the pedal, not the actual throttle itself. I typed something different than what I was thinking lol.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Boomshockpow
Both of these codes are related to the position of your throttle, not necessarily the cleanliness of the throttle-body. If you use your scanner to reset the codes the "limp mode" should reset itself. This happened to me in my truck after going from a slow speed to full throttle. (didn't wanna miss that yellow light). If that doesn't work listen to the comment above me. This code SHOULDN'T warrant a replacement of your throttle body though. It's just your ECM saying "ey wot?"

edit: should have read your whole message. are you an aggressive driver? If you aren't take the throttle real light for a few days, and if that still doesn't work maybe listen to the comment above mine.
I'm not a terribly aggressive driver, I usually get 16-17mpg if that's any indication. Granted I drive mostly highway...

The truck jumps out of limp mode on its own, and then I am resetting it after that. It's not turning on a wrench light or anything which is what's weird to me.

I'm going to call Ford tomorrow and check on a price for a throttle body. I'll clean it out on Saturday and see what happens I suppose.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:25 AM
Mark

Take it off the manifold to clean it and be sure to use the correct TB cleaner.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:47 AM
LightningRod

Received 641 Likes on 514 Posts

Default ETC - Additional information

I concur with all the above recommendations as prudent and inexpensive first step.

If that doesn't do it, the attached document is an interesting read and may hep. The codes are not strange at all for your described symptom. If you have a scanner that reads live data streams there are about three OBDII PIDs that can help narrow things down if cleaning is not successful.

Here is another very related / similar thread. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14...l#post15782142

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Strange OBDII codes