Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Strange fix while fixing catalytic conv.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange fix while fixing catalytic conv.

ok so i have had a bank 2 lean ineff. code for the last few months so i decided to order a replacement cat. while i'm waiting for it i decide to go to the parts store get some pipe and clamps and cut out my cat because truck was barely drivable. so i get it out pipe up in place and clamped. old cat was terrible pieces broken and everything.

also i have a manifold leaking and serp belt is squealing after i replaced it with a junk autoparts store one. i have a gatorback coming early next week,

the weird thing is i took my truck out for a drive and it drove excellent minus the manifold leak, but the squeal was gone. has anyone had this happen before or not. i was thinking that maybe because the engine had to fight the exhaust through the bad cat and somehow that back pressure made that belt squeal.

any ideas????
Old 03-22-2014, 03:02 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Exhaust has nothing to do with the serpentine belt.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:46 AM

That is interesting. Sure it made your engine run better but the squealing SB is just pure luck. give it a couple of days, it'll come back.
some people don't like this idea but I used just a touch of dishwashing soap when my Probe use to squeal. wearing bearings on a pulley is a whole different thing, however.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1
Exhaust has nothing to do with the serpentine belt.
Really exhaust has nothing to do with it. Why do u think the title says strange in it. Sorry but I'm mechanically inclined enough to know this. I said I have a gatorback on order because I have already replaced it once with a autoparts store junk brand.

Also tried the dishsoap thing and it didnt do anything, replaced an idler pully on the drivers side also. thats why I thought for awhile now its been the power steering pump.

To my amazement it stopped squealing right after my temporary install of pipe in place of the cat. No amount of days have gone by or anything. This belt was squealing when I pulled it into my garage 45 min later pulled truck out and no more squealing.

Sorry again if any of that sounds rude but when someone post something that obvious on a thread that clearly states strange in the title those people shouldnt be allowed to post anything. I know i'm new to this forum but I'm not new to all forums or the mechanical way things work.

If the squealing comes back I will post it but for now its still gone and just I would share this bit of info with you guys.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

You know, I had a suggestion for you as to where to look next, but you obviously would rather I not post on your threads, so... good luck.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:57 PM

Update....still no belt squeal and have not changed anything else yet since taking the old cat out.

Quick Reply: Strange fix while fixing catalytic conv.