Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

strange electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

Default strange electrical issue

hi all, after no luck with a search, i need to ask this. i have had a couple times this week where my truck hasnt wanted to start on me. the other day i unlocked it with remote, got in to start it and all it did was crank. then after i took the key out and tried again, it was completely dead. no nothing at all. i turned the headlights on to see if they worked, and then things kinda "re-set" and worked. but, the radio (stock) was completely reset with time and stations.

then yesterday, i tried to unlock and start with remote, i got no response again. open door with key, and saw all my gauge needles "dancing". tried to start with key, and again got nothing. so, i turned the headlights back on and again, all worked ok, but radio is reset like 2 days ago.

when the truck did crank, it cranked fine, so i dont think the battery has anything wrong with it. my electrical mods are:

Edge programmer (always on level 2)
6000k HID headlights (with relay)
175 watt amp added to stock head unit
frost-fighter rear window defroster (self timer shuts down)
fog/driving lamps (aftermarket)
Putco interior LED lamps
Firestone compressor for airbags

again, i really dont think any of the mods were the cause, since everything is off when i attempt to start (except for radio and amp), but i cant imagine why it is completely resetting. does anyone have any ideas?

thanks again for your help, and Merry Christmas.

sorry, 06 f150 supercrew, 5.4 XLT 4x4

Last edited by mattd17; 12-26-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:56 PM
FireMedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd still take it somewhere to make sure your battery is working at full performance. Depending on where you ran wires for your mods if you unclipped anything make sure it's all still seated correctly and didn't come loose. Especially if you did anything around the fuse box.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

all mods have been installed for quite some time. i will check all connections and see what happens. today everything worked just fine though..... its really strange !!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like what I refer to as an electrical 'siesmic fault'. In other words, vibration is causing a loose electrical connection or faulty component to open and close.
The hardest problem to troubleshoot in electronics is a partial short.
Best way to approach it is patiently. Start with one of your mods that could effect electrical systems, disconnect it or override it. Run the truck for a few days or weeks and observe closely.
Inspect all systems thoroughly for a smoking gun. If you're lucky something is burnt or melted and you will know right away where the trouble is.
Best way to approach it is the process of elimination. Start with the major things like voltage source (battery and its connections).
Take notes of all issues and actions taken and the times symptoms show up.
Buy a good DMM (digital multimeter) and learn how to use it.
I once spent months tracking an electrical issue that turned out to be a wire under the dash near the floor that was damaged by what I think was high heel shoes smashing the wire but not breaking it completely. Damage to the wire changed resistance value just enough to cause voltage to drop and the system to act like it was haunted.
Welcome to the world of electronics repair and troubleshooting.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

sounds like corosion on the cables or a bad battery...these trucks really like a good connection

Quick Reply: strange electrical issue