Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Strange electrical issue 2005 F150 XL

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange electrical issue 2005 F150 XL

HELP! I have an unusual issue going on. Driving down the road, all gauges freeze where they are, A/C starts blowing hot, odometer screen goes blank but the truck runs fine. It might stay like this for 10 minutes or two weeks. Even the chime when you have key in ignition is silent and no seat belt buzzer goes off.

It can, just as suddenly, come back at random. Maybe while driving or when I put the key in to start the truck, everything works fine all of a sudden.

It must be a relay issue or something but i have not found any water intrusion, no corrosion on terminals or connectors, no nothing. Alternator tested good, battery tested good.

Now, it has been two weeks and no A/C, no gauges, no chimes, no nothing.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:44 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

Well there is still power to the fuel pump, ignition and ECU or the engine would quit. Start at the battery and trace the positive wires. One should go to the starter, one to the fuse box (power distribution center). Check those connections. Then with a meter in the fuse box you should be able to see what has power and what does not.

Also you should check the various grounds near the battery. You may have a loose one.

Search the web for a wiring diagram. It would be helpful after you see what has power and what does not.
The following users liked this post:
mindsweeper (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Sooo, I took the time to go through as many connection points as possible. I followed the positive lines from the battery through each line to its end. Then the negative in the same manner. No real issues anywhere. Then I went to the main fuse panel and started going through all connections there as well. No corrosion, no discoloration from heat, water or anything else.

I found that if a pushed in on the lower aft corner of the panel, the glitch would fix. Buzzers sounding, gauges working, a/c runs etc. So I took the panel completely out of the truck and pulled it as much apart as possible. I see nothing wrong with it anywhere. I put it back in and the same thing happens. When I push on the lower corner, the problem goes away. When i let up, it comes back. No issues anywhere in the connections.

I think I probably will just replace the fuse panel unless anyone has an idea!
Old 08-02-2015, 12:41 AM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

Well if you're going to replace it, may as well fully disassemble it incase it is possible to fix.
Glad you 'found' it.

Quick Reply: Strange electrical issue 2005 F150 XL