Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight pipe

Looking for a decent sound on my f150 and all my other trucks I've just straight piped them and liked the sound but this is the newest truck I've owned and was wondering about the down falls on it with the O2 sensors and the computers and all that and if the 5.4 sounds good straight piped and if it's ok for the motor
Old 12-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

This should save both you and the forum members some time.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/removing-cats-323460/
Old 12-22-2015, 11:22 PM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

It will not harm the motor, it'll throw emissions codes and won't pass any tests either. An engine can not have enough of two things, fresh air coming in, and exhaust going out. A restriction in either results in less power.

An added bonus, if you are single and want to stay that way you can straight pipe your truck. Imagine of all that free time...
Old 12-23-2015, 04:28 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdinCanada
It will not harm the motor, it'll throw emissions codes and won't pass any tests either. An engine can not have enough of two things, fresh air coming in, and exhaust going out. A restriction in either results in less power.

An added bonus, if you are single and want to stay that way you can straight pipe your truck. Imagine of all that free time...
And potential for an empty wallet. I tried to save my son the coin from removing the cats off of his Suby WRX Sti; he did it anyhow, then several months later, sold the car. On a nice Saturday morning, he was served papers; the new owner wanted a full refund, as the car would not pass emmisions tests. Even though the car was sold "as is" and both the buyer and seller signed it off, Federal law superseded in this case, as it's against Federal law to sell or trade a vehicle without its mandated equipment in place. He had 48 hours to buy back the car, pay to have the cats reinstalled, or pay a 30K fine plus court fees. He bought back the car, as he had sellers remorse for selling it in the first place. Still has it today, but with the cats installed.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:16 AM

I should've been more specific I just want to remove the muffler I want to keep the cats on the truck removing both cats and muffler to me is just too much usually, would it still throw codes if I just did the muffler
Old 12-23-2015, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by ColdinCanada

If I just removed the muffler would it still throw a code?
Old 12-23-2015, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Toshbar
This should save both you and the forum members some time.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/removing-cats-323460/
Should've been more specific not looking to remove the cats just the muffler
Old 12-23-2015, 07:18 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Not sure why everyone jumped to removing the cats. I assumed just the muffler as that is typically what straight piped is referring to.

It will not effect emissions nor O2 sensors or through codes. Some have said that it was too loud but I found my old aftermarket system was louder than my current straight pipe set up.

No dangers but it will likely not add much if any extra power. However I personally like the sound.
The following users liked this post:
Jchrysl (12-29-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
Not sure why everyone jumped to removing the cats. I assumed just the muffler as that is typically what straight piped is referring to. It will not effect emissions nor O2 sensors or through codes. Some have said that it was too loud but I found my old aftermarket system was louder than my current straight pipe set up. No dangers but it will likely not add much if any extra power. However I personally like the sound.
I always thought "straight pipe" was removing cats and muffler.
And "muffler delete" is just removing the muffler.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by connorfx4
I always thought "straight pipe" was removing cats and muffler. And "muffler delete" is just removing the muffler.
You're right. Always been like this since I've known.
The following users liked this post:
connorfx4 (12-23-2015)

Quick Reply: Straight pipe