Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Straight Axle? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Straight Axle? Anyone?

Has anyone on here straight axle their F150? Considering putting a HP44 in the front. Im just not a fan of IFS . Ive done axle swaps before on Jeeps but never for a IFS. I can figure out the coil over mounts and control arms. I dont know what to do with the steering though?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bianchid
Has anyone on here straight axle their F150? Considering putting a HP44 in the front. Im just not a fan of IFS . Ive done axle swaps before on Jeeps but never for a IFS. I can figure out the coil over mounts and control arms. I dont know what to do with the steering though?
I'll be watching this closely as I have wanted to do a 2wd to 4wd conversion on my truck, but not go w/ the IFS like factory has (i mean, if you're gonna do it up, do it up right, right? lol). Please keep me posted if I happen to not follow too closely
Old 09-30-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im also interested.. i used to be a toyota guy and everyone did solid axle swaps on the daily..
Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by aidswolf
im also interested.. i used to be a toyota guy and everyone did solid axle swaps on the daily..
I heard of a kit for the 97-03, but couldnt find one any where online.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no kit available it would be a one of custom but i too am interested as i would like to do it as well hp dana 44 would be my choice as well
Old 09-30-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im feeling either a HP44 and 9". Or i may just do it all up right and put a 60 and 10.25 from a Super Duty under it. Im gonna start examining some ideas, may be looking at some ideas for tax return season. If i can manage to keep this truck that long. I get tired of the same thing
Old 09-30-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by bianchid
Im feeling either a HP44 and 9". Or i may just do it all up right and put a 60 and 10.25 from a Super Duty under it. Im gonna start examining some ideas, may be looking at some ideas for tax return season. If i can manage to keep this truck that long. I get tired of the same thing
I'll be keeping my 2wd forever. It was my first "NEW" New vehicle. I put all the miles it has on it, so I cant part w/ it. But since I am keeping it that long, I'd love to convert. Tax return would be a good timeline for me as well. I wouldn't go w/ a SD axle for me, only because i already have a locker on the rear, and just put in 4.30's. but a HP44 would be sweeet. Addin ya now so I can stay posted
Old 09-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by humbodtscrew
there is no kit available it would be a one of custom but i too am interested as i would like to do it as well hp dana 44 would be my choice as well
I agree there isn't going to be any "Kit" for this. It'll have to be a fully custom setup. Also is a 44 going to be good enough? I know a lot of guys on the Ranger site say the 44 isn't good enough and thats on a smaller, lighter truck with less power.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by FX4_Envy
I agree there isn't going to be any "Kit" for this. It'll have to be a fully custom setup. Also is a 44 going to be good enough? I know a lot of guys on the Ranger site say the 44 isn't good enough and thats on a smaller, lighter truck with less power.
I agree with this, a D44 is nothing to brag about. The 8.8 that you have up front is beefier.

If you're gonna do it, go with 1 tons.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:16 PM

Did you consider taking the entire front end out of a donor Superduty: steering shaft/ steering box, linkage, axle, front drive shaft and suspension. You would still have to fabricate mounts and I think your transfer case output will line up with the foward diff.

Quick Reply: Straight Axle? Anyone?