Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

stock radio won't work, menu and load/eject works though

Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock radio won't work, menu and load/eject works though

I have a 2004 Ford F150 Lariat supercrew cab... I have an issue where ONLY the menu (clock) and eject/load cd buttons respond. All of it lights up, but nothing on the radio works otherwise. I've pulled every fuse in the passenger side panel (other than the square ones) and replaced the accessory delay, radio power, and subwoofer power fuses. I double checked all the wiring, but my 6 disk in dash player still won't work. Everything else in the truck works fine...but before you say it's a bad radio/player...I just bought a brand new Pioneer head unit and hooked the whole thing up and the exact same thing is happening! I'm convinced it has to be a fuse or the wiring...but I swair everything looks just fine (and original) in the wiring harness. Any suggestions?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Certified Ford Technician

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you'll need a reman or fixed, it's an arm and half a leg (about $250 for repair or $450 for a reman) through a dealer. Or drop about 2/3rds that on a decent aftermarket deck and install kit.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:47 PM
New Guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya just get a aftermarket deck and dash kit. That's what I would do. It just sucks if you like the look of the factory one.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

It sure sounds like a fuse..... check all the little square ones too....fuses
1, 2, 22, 31 all deal with the radio in my 07.....according to the manual.....time to get a multimeter and check voltages on each and every wire.....
Old 02-08-2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by 07_F150_XLT_SCab
It sure sounds like a fuse..... check all the little square ones too....fuses
1, 2, 22, 31 all deal with the radio in my 07.....according to the manual.....time to get a multimeter and check voltages on each and every wire.....
I agree...everything logic keeps telling me it has to be a fuse...I'm just tired of pulling all fuses and checking them...I guess that's where I'll look again.

Can anyone list exactly which number fuses on an 04 could cause this?

Are the 07 and 04' fuses the exact same? I have the manual...but they don't always list "radio"

Thanks to everyone so far...
Old 02-08-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by patremp
Ya just get a aftermarket deck and dash kit. That's what I would do. It just sucks if you like the look of the factory one.

You obviously didn't read all of my post...where I said I bought an aftermarket deck and dash kit, wired it all up, and still get the exact same thing...eject works but not much else.

One other note, all of the buttons are illuminated on the factory deck.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:44 PM
I know it's backwards

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

I just looked at the 2004 owners manual.

Here's what you have:

#7 - Radio - 5amp

#22 - Delayed Accessory Power - 10amp

#31 - Radio power - 20amp

#38 - Subwoofer - 25amp

Also in your engine compartment there's an Auxiliary box. Check R02 it's an accessory delay.

I think you missed at least one of these when you changed your fuses.

Good Luck

(PS) I've got the OEM radio out of my 07 that I'll sell for a good price. :-)

Last edited by BlacKnBack; 02-08-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 PM
New Guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strosf150
You obviously didn't read all of my post...where I said I bought an aftermarket deck and dash kit, wired it all up, and still get the exact same thing...eject works but not much else.

One other note, all of the buttons are illuminated on the factory deck.
my bad
Old 02-09-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may not be of help but I had a similar issue with oem radio. It dies once after I took it to a car wash. I checked all fuses and no go.. I unpluged battery for cleaning it when I had given up and when I plugged back in it worked. Weird.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 AM

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

That is quite strange that the aftermarket doesn't work. I've installed quite a few after market stereos and from my experience you should have full functionality of the after market radio with just power and ground ( yellow, red, and black wires). Obviously no sound cuz only 3 wires are hooked up but everything should work ie.. Eject, sources, radio station( will just scan as no antenna is hooked up) aux inputs etc. there is no wiring that will limit your control except the steering wheel controls if somehow hooked up wrong ( with out the appropriate interface). As far as your factory unit goes it could just be a defective unit. Check all appropriate fuses as previously mentioned and I'll see if I still have a pin out diagram of the factory radio harness an post it. Will show what color and function the wires on the main harness are. The other 2 smaller ones are your sub and aux in if equipped if I remember right. I'll double check

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stock radio won't work, menu and load/eject works though