Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Step Pads on tube step bumpers loose or coming up at ends?

Old 10-22-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Step Pads on tube step bumpers loose or coming up at ends?

If your step pads on your truck's tube bumpers are coming loose or pulling up at the ends but still in decent shape here is a quick fix. Mine have 4 plastic posts that insert into holes in the steel step bumper. The driver door step pad end was curling up and no longer could be pressed back down without popping up. I looked at replacing them and they are very expensive. While shopping for them I realized they come with round clips that go into the holes and grip the plastic post of the step pad. That clip is what was wrong with my pad fitting like it used to - they broke and are missing. You can buy them specific for step pads and they are in specialty sites or even eBay for like $2 each. I stumbled across a site that sells the same thing but describes them as "tubular nuts" or "emblem nuts". The ones I bought are exactly same dimension as specialty step pad clips but I got a pack of 25 of them for less than $10 delivered from eBay. Mine were described as Lincoln Tubular Nuts and listed as being used to secure badges and emblems. They were for stud size 1/4" and hole size 9/32". Worked perfectly and my step pad is now securely attached to my step bumper again for less than $10

Search this Thread