Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

STEERING WHEEL SHAKES (since the lift and tires)

Old 07-04-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question STEERING WHEEL SHAKES (since the lift and tires)

Ok you tire, suspension and alignment experts - what are your opinions (and as always they are greatly appreciated)

I just lifted my 06 Lariat 6 inches (procomp stage 1) and threw on some 35 inch procomp xtreme a/t's. The tire shop used beads inside the wheels instead of weights on the outside of the rims to balance them. I also went for a professional alignment right after I had the lift done.

HERES THE PROBLEM: The steering wheel begins to shake slightly between 45 mph and 60 mph. At about 65 it lessens but is still noticeable. It's really annoying and I'm wondering how to correct it.

Anybody else experience the same issue after lifting their trucks?

Anybody else experience this problem with tire beads instead of weights?

Anybody else experience this after adding 35 inch tires?

ID JUST LIKE TO KNOW WHERE TO START TROUBLESHOOTING... TIRES? SUSPENSION? ALIGNMENT?..

Let's hear it gentlemen!!! THANKS!!!

Last edited by Night Train; 07-04-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:32 PM

Received 199 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Steering wheel shakes

Some times when I had new tires I found that the steering wheel shaking meant that I had to return to have my wheels re-balanced.

Weights came off?
The guys were in a hurry?
The tires shifted - a slim possibility -- some time the rears do from the slick goo used when mounting, also from the tire seating.

Also look to see if one of the tires took a huge difference in lead (weights) compared to other tires.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:35 AM

I think it sounds like more of a tire issue than a lift kit or alignment but it sounds like the tires you put on are very knobby. correct? that being said, it may be something you may have to live with due to the style of tires you decided to put on. but before you make any decision about changing tires. I would go back to the shop and one, find out if they can use wheel weight, its a pain in the *** for them and only a small majority of tire places can handle larger tires, and/or second see if they have the right amount of bead in the tires. also try rotating the tires, I know they are new and should be about equal but its worth a shot.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by kifels
I think it sounds like more of a tire issue than a lift kit or alignment but it sounds like the tires you put on are very knobby. correct? that being said, it may be something you may have to live with due to the style of tires you decided to put on. but before you make any decision about changing tires. I would go back to the shop and one, find out if they can use wheel weight, its a pain in the *** for them and only a small majority of tire places can handle larger tires, and/or second see if they have the right amount of bead in the tires. also try rotating the tires, I know they are new and should be about equal but its worth a shot.

I out on procomp extreme all terrains so theyre not as knobby as a mud tire and are actually fairly quiet on the hwy. Sounds like some good advice about going back and rebalancing tho - will do that tomorrow...

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: STEERING WHEEL SHAKES (since the lift and tires)