Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Steering wheel feels loose

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel feels loose

Hey everyone, just wanted to get some feedback on this ongoing issue I have. I have a 2wd 2008 supercrew 5.4l. When I drive at normal city speeds even the highway, so any speed really, I have a loose steering feeling. I don't even know where to begin with it but it's loose enough that ruts and potholes grab the wheel and pulls the truck to either side. When I'm parked and I turn my wheel with the truck off I hear a click coming from the steering shaft somewhere. I drive a 2011 e series van And the steering is tight a's all can be and it doesn't shimmy on me. I get in
Y truck to drive around after work and it feels like I'm in a 20 year old vehicle it sucks! Fluids are great. Also while in a parking lot and turning full left or right the steering wheel never returns to the straight position it just stays turned and I can drive in a circle with my hands off the steering wheel. Is this normal? I've never experienced this in any vehicle before. This is my first "truck" I've owned suv 4x4's that's all. ThNks in advance.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Tie rod ends... I had the same problem on my 08 ... I just replaced them...They were SHOTTTT.. expecially for only have 55k on them
Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

I have to assume it's shimmying while driving (you said the van doesn't shimmy) soooo....

Basics. Possible causes could be tie rod ends, ball joints, basically have the front end checked before it decides to REALLY be not normal and something separates and you wind up in an uncontrolled steering situation......
Old 03-31-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by gone postal
I have to assume it's shimmying while driving (you said the van doesn't shimmy) soooo....

Basics. Possible causes could be tie rod ends, ball joints, basically have the front end checked before it decides to REALLY be not normal and something separates and you wind up in an uncontrolled steering situation......
I'll have the front end inspected again but by somewhere different. I had my local ford look at it 2 weeks ago. The said tie rods were good. Ball joints were good. Bearings had some play but those have since been replaced. It felt tight for 100km after the hubs were changed but the feeling is back. Could it be a bearing related thing? I think a full front end steering/suspension check is needed can any mechanic do this or would ford know more about this than my mechanic? Is it common to be able to turn the wheel 1/8th each way while vehicle is off and hear a clicking sound??
Old 03-31-2011, 08:04 AM

If you have a mechanic you trust, have them go through things carefully.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Get underneath the truck with the key on...(notstarted)
Have someone set in the truck
Watch the tie rod end while someone shake the wheel left to right about 1 inch both ways... Not enough to make the wheels move just enough to show the play... if the tie rod ends are bad you will be able to see or here the clank...Do both sides Also you can put your hand on them while the person is doing it...
Old 03-31-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by bobkyle2
Get underneath the truck with the key on...(notstarted)
Have someone set in the truck
Watch the tie rod end while someone shake the wheel left to right about 1 inch both ways... Not enough to make the wheels move just enough to show the play... if the tie rod ends are bad you will be able to see or here the clank...Do both sides Also you can put your hand on them while the person is doing it...
Ya that's a great idea I'm gonna do that tonight!! I hope it's something like that and not the steering rack. I'm just disappointed cause I've had nothing but issues with the front end of this truck. In 3000km I've had rotor/hubs changed 3 times. My 4runner had a much nicer ride I know it's a truck but for 30k it should ride much smoother and trouble free instead I feel every little bump and fight a steering wheel. Not cool.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

I can feel every little bump now that i got the leveling kit.. But it drives 10 times better after i changed my tie rod ends..

BTW.. Ford dealership told me my front end was ok.. but needed bearings ... I told them now to touch the bearings... They alligned the front end..(still drove like ***) Then i changed the tie rod ends because they were SHOT... And started to call ford back and bitch... but i decided not too.. because my warrenty is about up and i am just tired of there crap... I Took it to a local shop .. that will not screw me over.. and they alligned the front end for me.. and to this day.. it drives better than ford has done from when i got it with 14 miles on it....

Its been alligned atleast 5 times... Its got 63k on it now.. and for the last 5k or so... its drove like a dream... The leveling kit made it a little rough
Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 AM

With all the issues you list with the front end of your truck, it sounds like whoever has been doing the work has been doing a crap job. The hubs (assuming bearings) and rotors shouldn't have to be changed that often, unless the person who was doing it didn't know their butt from a hole in the ground.

I'd take it to a reputable independent shop and go back to the Ford dealer with a bill.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:22 AM

What am I looking at for cost to replace the tie rods?? I'm in Canada if that helps?

Quick Reply: Steering wheel feels loose