Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

startup rattle/drainback question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Something

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb startup rattle/drainback question

2005 5.4L XLT 4x4
Hi. This is probably a question for Ford Techs or for someone who really knows these engines, in and out. I am hoping to find someone as all the Ford dealerships around me seem to employ mechanics that are pushed to get things done quick and cannot take the time needed to really diagnose a problem without digging into the engine. (Yes I know it is very hard to diagnose these types of things, esp. sounds, I am just hoping to luck out here)
I am getting a startup rattle after cold soak. I currently use a K&N oil filter that is supposed to have an anti-drainback valve in it, but I am still getting this rattle. I bought this truck used, engine had 54000 mi. on it when I bought it. I have no idea what type of oil filter they used prior. From watching tech time plus shows I get all the normal noises that these engines make besides a bad startup rattle/knock which lasts 1-2 seconds.
What I am wondering and have not been able to figure out yet is should this rattle stop once I have an oil filter on with the anti drainback valve or is this something where once its broke its broke? Might I have a leaking timing chain adjuster?
Truck runs fine throughout driving range and at idle besides a slight miss or two every now and again, most noticable at idle.
Thanks to anyone who feels they can tackle this one.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:42 AM

A drainback valve won't help a filter that is already hanging. MOST good filters come with a drainback valve in it anyway. As far as the noise, i'm pretty sure this engine uses a chain tensioner that works on oil pressure. If it is noisy, the only way to fix it is to replace it. If it is only noisy for a few seconds on a cold start, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

That's what I have been told as well, but I also experience a slight rattle at lower speeds when I let off the gas (20mph or so when its slow enough with the windows open to hear) and was wondering if you get this same noise. Does anybody know if this is a call to replace the tensioner chain? Sorry to jack your thread but I figured its all related information.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Something

Default yeah I do get that rattle

Yeah I do get a slight rattle-like feeling/noise if I let off the gas, especially if I get it a bunch of gas and then let off real fast, although I think part of that is just the engine compensating for the difference in pressure. Besides this my engine runs great. I was thinking of testing the continuity on the VCT solenoids to see if they need replacing, but I'm still learning about the VCT system so I don't even know if the solenoids would have much to do with this or not.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah idk jack about the VCT system besides the fact that is PISSES ME OFF lol

Quick Reply: startup rattle/drainback question