Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issue

Here is the latest issue with the truck. It starts fine in the morning 5AM but after i get off work at 2PM the truck has to crank for a good 5 or 6 seconds before it will start and when it does it stumbles quite a bit until it gets itself together and starts running normal (another 5 seconds or so). After that it will start without this issue. Not sure if the outside temperature is a factor but its Las Vegas and its been around the 100 degree mark and the truck is black so i know its cooking under the hood.

Ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2015, 02:36 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Certainly heat related. Does it feel like the engine is "running on fumes" for those 5 seconds before it begins nor,al operation?
Old 07-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Crank no start - could be your battery (temp related) or its connections.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:36 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I doubt this is heat related. Before our year trucks ('04 to '08), Ford changed to a single feed fuel line, and eliminated the fuel pressure regulator valve. This new single fuel line helps prevent vapor lock and fuel "boil".
The fuel injection rails have a fuel pressure sensor, which informs the PCM/ECU to cut off power to the fuel pump via the FPDM (fuel pump driver module) located by the spare tire. This module "turns on/turns off" the fuel pump in the gas tank to regulate pressure in this single line.
With the older fuel delivery systems, there were two fuel lines: a send and return line. Fuel was pumped back into the gas tank with by control of a fuel pressure regulator via the return line; this was problematic in the way of fuel vaporizing due to heat. It was eliminated with the new system.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 07-24-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
I doubt this is heat related. Before our year trucks ('04 to '08), Ford changed to a single feed fuel line, and eliminated the fuel pressure regulator valve. This new single fuel line helps prevent vapor lock and fuel "boil".
The fuel injection rails have a fuel pressure sensor, which informs the PCM/ECU to cut off power to the fuel pump via the FPDM (fuel pump driver module) located by the spare tire. This module "turns on/turns off" the fuel pump in the gas tank to regulate pressure in this single line.
With the older fuel delivery systems, there were two fuel lines: a send and return line. Fuel was pumped back into the gas tank with by control of a fuel pressure regulator via the return line; this was problematic in the way of fuel vaporizing due to heat. It was eliminated with the new system.
Darn, this is where I was going. Ruin all my fun.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ColdinCanada
Certainly heat related. Does it feel like the engine is "running on fumes" for those 5 seconds before it begins nor,al operation?
I would say yes to the running on fumes, very much sounds like it's starved for fuel. As far as cranking it does start , just takes a bit to get it to start. Battery is new it turns the engine over just fine. This only happens when it sits outside in the sun all day.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2015, 09:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegasmachine
Here is the latest issue with the truck. It starts fine in the morning 5AM but after i get off work at 2PM the truck has to crank for a good 5 or 6 seconds before it will start and when it does it stumbles quite a bit until it gets itself together and starts running normal (another 5 seconds or so). After that it will start without this issue. Not sure if the outside temperature is a factor but its Las Vegas and its been around the 100 degree mark and the truck is black so i know its cooking under the hood.

Ideas?

Thanks
I bet you a cup of java that your warm start issue is due to on its way out but not totally dead crank shaft position sensor.

My second guess would be leaked injectors.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hongstertruck
I bet you a cup of java that your warm start issue is due to on its way out but not totally dead crank shaft position sensor.

My second guess would be leaked injectors.
I was under the impression that the crank shaft position sensor was one of those items that didn't go bad that often.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegasmachine
I was under the impression that the crank shaft position sensor was one of those items that didn't go bad that often.

Thanks
It's rare but it's there.

Quick Reply: Starting issue