Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starter

So my wife and I were driving to spend the weekend at the beautiful Texas Coast, and had just made it out of town and the truck started misfiring and the check engine light came on. So I turned around and searched for the closest Autozone so they could pull the codes for the check engine light.

It tuned out to be a misfire in cylinder number seven. I elected to change the plug in the morning since it was already 8:30 at night and did not want to break a plug and be stuck without the proper tools.

I go to leave Autozone and now the starter will not turn the engine over. Not even a little bit. It just kept making a high pitch squeal. So I had to buy a starter and install it in the parking lot.

Let me just say it was the worst, most difficult starter I have ever replaced. There was not much room for any wrenches or ratchets and to top it off, the bolt on the top you had to use your hand and imagine what it looked like and take it off by feeling for it.

To make a long evening short I was able to swap them with the help of my father in law by 11:30 pm and drive back home. Where in the morning I replaced the plug (without braking it) and now the truck drives great again. I plan on changing the other plugs soon, just not this week.

Truck stats: 2005, 5.4, 4x4, super crew, with 83,000 miles

Quick Reply: Starter