Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

squeaking pressure sound in the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 12:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default squeaking pressure sound in the steering wheel

For the past month or so when turning the steering wheel (only when turning),following there after will be a pressure release sound.it's small yet noticeable.it'll last 4-6 secnods.sounds like it's releasing pressure,whiny sound.

sometime today or tomorrow i'll make a recording with my cell and post it.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:14 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Dripper
For the past month or so when turning the steering wheel (only when turning),following there after will be a pressure release sound.it's small yet noticeable.it'll last 4-6 secnods.sounds like it's releasing pressure,whiny sound.

sometime today or tomorrow i'll make a recording with my cell and post it.
typical power steering whine, theses trucks are bad for it, only thing you can try to do is flush/change the fluid for P.S and hope it helps.. otherwise deal with it or change the pump

mine does it at full lock
Old 05-30-2016, 08:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grss429
typical power steering whine, theses trucks are bad for it, only thing you can try to do is flush/change the fluid for P.S and hope it helps.. otherwise deal with it or change the pump

mine does it at full lock
I'm pretty sure i have fluid in there.I changed the whole line 2 months ago,added fluid,it's fine.pump? where? The typical whining sound from lack of fluid is very loud and obnoxious and irritating.This sound is small like a pop and release for a few seconds.never heard it before,ever,until last month.it's coming directly from the steering wheel area.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:17 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Dripper
I'm pretty sure i have fluid in there.I changed the whole line 2 months ago,added fluid,it's fine.pump? where? The typical whining sound from lack of fluid is very loud and obnoxious and irritating.This sound is small like a pop and release for a few seconds.never heard it before,ever,until last month.it's coming directly from the steering wheel area.
ohh sorry i misread this.... sounds like going to be the steering shaft, get a can of PB plaster/liquid wrench and spray the u joints on the shaft.. or replace it for 100 bucks.. mine had so much play in the u joint it broke..

Quick Reply: squeaking pressure sound in the steering wheel