Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spur of the moment brake job...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spur of the moment brake job...

Driving home yesterday and without warning, brake pads were grinding hard... obviously with my 30 mile one way commute to work, had to swap them out along with the rotors to get to work the next day... (pissed me off cuz I was intending on doing a upgrade to a bigger set) but.... oh well...

While driving in this morning, doing a lot of thinking... everything seemed fine through traffic etc... I was although bothered when i was changing the pads last night, Their were springs which i didn't reload? Is this a fa pux b/c of my laziness? Has anyone else encountered this? Please put my mind at ease!!!

2005 5.4 XLT 4x4
49,000mi
Old 03-19-2008, 12:30 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

You fool now your gonna die!!!!! You should replace all the brake springs that came off....

I am kidding. They are anti rattle or anti chatter springs.. Put them on this weekend.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:02 PM

lol.. funny guy... =)
Those looked to be a pain, & didn't feel like dealing with them last night... pads felt loaded with out them...

Do you think i can take my chances and go on until they're worn down again..., and finally do my brake upgrade?
Are they just more prone to cracking at this point?
Old 03-19-2008, 01:56 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I would take the time to put them in.. Its not that hard.. Post a pic of the springs you are talking about.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:14 PM

I will when i get home today..., two horse-shoe shaped wire type springs... connecting both pads...
Old 03-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Bleed FORD Blue

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well I did the same thing i forgot to re-install those springs and at the time I was working at a shop so after working on everyone else's car I did not feel the need to brake it all down again to out that back on. About 7,000 miles later still no problems! But its up to you the only thing I can see going wrong is pre mature wear on your pads but highly dought that!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 PM

Cool.. tx al, thats a relief to hear...
I'm attaching a pic of what the set up should look like with my old pads...

As I said... I struggled loading those bad boys when i was in there yestrday, and probably won't be breaking it down again anytime soon, figure i can run like this at least 7000mi hahaha (procrastination at its finest i'd say)

But when I do, & am a little less frustrated... Can anyone help with any tricks/tips loading those springs???
Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are sort of a anti rattle spring/return spring,the main thing they do is keep the pads pushed off the rotor,as far as installing them install springs on the pads and hold the pads to the rotor with your fingers,(as the springs try push the pads apart),and slide the caliper down over the pads,the trick is once you slide the caliper over the pads it has to go over the pads evenly or the spring will get hung on the opening on the caliper,take a little time and you should be able to get them on with out too much trouble.

Quick Reply: Spur of the moment brake job...