Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spread beam and pencil beam

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:09 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Spread beam and pencil beam

I'm doing quite a bit of night time driving these days through some areas known for bears and deer. I purchased a light bar that allows for 4 lights. So far, I've purchased two 6 inch round 100 watt "pencil beam" KC's, and I was thinking of also buying two more 6 inch KC's that are "spread beam".

For those with experience running with these lights, should the pencil beam lights be on the inside two mounts, and the spread beams on the two outer mounts?

I have not decided if I'll use two separate switches (one for the pencil beam, the other for the spread beam), or one switch to do all. If I go with just one switch for all four, I will be using relays, and will use the stock fog switch switch on the dash to be the "trigger" lead to the relays.

I don't want LED bars; I prefer the old school KC's.

Any advice?

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 03-02-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:09 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,579 Likes on 6,196 Posts

While I cant directly answer your question, I highly suggest a pair of Nokya Hyper Yellow bulbs in your stock foglights. The spread of light is unbelievable.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:54 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

On my old Jeep I had the pencil on the inside and the flood on the outside. I was happy with the output and how they lit everything so I didn't bother switching them to see if there was a difference.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:50 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Summers22
While I cant directly answer your question, I highly suggest a pair of Nokya Hyper Yellow bulbs in your stock foglights. The spread of light is unbelievable.
You sparked another good idea!
Unfortunately, I don't have the factory fog lights (in the lower bumper) option, and had to remove the ones I had installed in the lower grille opening in order to install this light bar. What I now may do is install a set of smaller lights mounted to the bar below it, and install a set of these bulbs you recommend. I would then go back to using the factory fog light switch (headlight switch with the "pull") to operate these, and install a separate switch for the KC's mounted above the bar.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 03-03-2016 at 04:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Spread beam and pencil beam