Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spraying out engine compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Spraying out engine compartment?

Is it safe to spray out the engine compartment? Mine is getting dirty. The main problem I have with it is that I can see salt spray has gotten in there. The morons where I live coat the roads with salt constantly and we've gotten maybe 3-4 inches of snow all year. Even funnier, is that school has been cancelled several times in advance because it "might" snow. People here are lazy and use any excuse not to work. It was forcasted to snow maybe an inch or two last week and the Walmart was packed like a nuclear holocaust was imminent. I can't tell if it was just the snow or if it was government check day, too.

Anyway, what about spraying engine cleaner at the carwash and spraying it out? Seems kinda sketchy.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Going Postal!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotaz
Is it safe to spray out the engine compartment? Mine is getting dirty. The main problem I have with it is that I can see salt spray has gotten in there. The morons where I live coat the roads with salt constantly and we've gotten maybe 3-4 inches of snow all year. Even funnier, is that school has been cancelled several times in advance because it "might" snow. People here are lazy and use any excuse not to work. It was forcasted to snow maybe an inch or two last week and the Walmart was packed like a nuclear holocaust was imminent. I can't tell if it was just the snow or if it was government check day, too.

Anyway, what about spraying engine cleaner at the carwash and spraying it out? Seems kinda sketchy.

Yeah spray some cleaner in there and wash it out with the hose. Just use some common sense on the vital engine parts I.E coils and ECM. I wash mine out all the time and never had a problem!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:14 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I use simple green. It works really well. I use an air compressor to dry the engine when I am done.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wash my out with water all the time but i don't drive the truck in the winter when they (road workers) spary or spread the car killing stuff on the roads!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spray it a t the car wash and rinse it but don't squeeze the trigger for pressure.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:17 PM
04 xcab 4x4

Originally Posted by Robotaz

I was told that since these newer fords have coil packs you shouldn't spray water in the engine compartment. Don't know for sure though.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:24 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Get the motor warm then use low pressure and some degresser. Then rinse it off and run the motor again to dry the remaining water off.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I'll try the tire and engine cleaner at the carwash close by, which works great on tires and rims, and use low pressure spotless rinse. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:25 AM
MSchneid

When i bought my '05 the dealer had to replace one of the coil packs ($80) because the detailer hit the coil pack with the high pressure washer. Just be careful around these.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mschneid
When i bought my '05 the dealer had to replace one of the coil packs ($80) because the detailer hit the coil pack with the high pressure washer. Just be careful around these.
Ditto what this guy said. Before I bought mine I was looking at three 05's at a dealer. All 3 of them had a mis at idle and ran rough. The salesman complained about how when they detail the trucks they spray under the hood. I told him that I wasn't impressed with the dealership for allowing this to happen. He agreed. He claimed that newer 05's had a more water resistant coil pack. I didn't buy from them........

Quick Reply: Spraying out engine compartment?