Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spit and sputter, not the coils

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spit and sputter, not the coils

Truck has been running great then this morning when I crunk it up it sputtered for a brief second and cleared up. I let it warm up and as I backed up and let off the gas it went dead. I fired it right back up and proceeded home from work, about 5 miles down the road it sputtered again but I was in the throttle so it didnt go dead. Its not the same jump as a coil pack its a lot less "violent". I made it home 37 miles away with it only acting up one more time with about 4-5 sputters. As I headed back to work it cut off twice in my drive while I was letting it warm up and on the way to work I made it 8 miles and it stared sputtering a lot more and more frequently so I turned around and took another truck to work and left it at my house. I just stopped and bought a new motorcraft fuel filter for starters... Im not getting any lights or anything all my fluids are in check and recently changed, gauges are normal. any leads or ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Old 03-08-2016, 09:22 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Have you checked your FPDM?
Old 03-08-2016, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by connorfx4
Have you checked your FPDM?
No, that is next on the list after I put the filter on in the morning. I haven't looked at anything haven't had the time. But its cranking fine and its getting fuel because it runs fine for a while until it wants to act up. If the FPDM was bad wouldn't it just not work or can it be going bad and work some and screw up some? Also I thought it possibly could be an injector too but im not sure.

I NEED A PROGRAMMER ON IT SO I CAN WATCH ALL MY PARAMETERS!!!
Old 03-08-2016, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dukus832
No, that is next on the list after I put the filter on in the morning. I haven't looked at anything haven't had the time. But its cranking fine and its getting fuel because it runs fine for a while until it wants to act up. If the FPDM was bad wouldn't it just not work or can it be going bad and work some and screw up some? Also I thought it possibly could be an injector too but im not sure. I NEED A PROGRAMMER ON IT SO I CAN WATCH ALL MY PARAMETERS!!!
When I first got my truck it had the same exact problem that you are explaining. It would start fine but after running would try to die. It was indeed the FPDM. It's at least worth a shot to look at it.
The following users liked this post:
Dukus832 (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 09:52 PM

When I first got my truck it had the same exact problem that you are explaining. It would start fine but after running would try to die. It was indeed the FPDM. It's at least worth a shot to look at it.
I appreciate it! ill have my tire dropped first thing after I get home in the morning.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:53 PM

Let's hope that's it! That would be a fairly cheap, easy fix. Keep us updated.
Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Dukus832 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 07:56 PM

Alright, I have seemed to fix my problem by just simply changing my fuel filter. I have about 100 miles on it now and not any spit and sputter or cutting off. when I dropped my old filter I had what looked to be like mud running out of the UNfiltered side of the filter (Pictuer below) however the filtered gas that came out looked clean. I pulled my spare tire and my FPDM didn't look that bad (Also pictured) But I have one on order and ill be replacing it when it comes in anyways. Shout out to Connorfx4 for the input, I appreciate it man

Old 03-10-2016, 08:25 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

The FPDM controls the fuel pressure when it works properly.
When you take yours off of the truck, you may find the back side intact or crumbling. The appearance in the pic is not drastic but also not great.
Appears that you found the issue with the fuel filter.
You may want to take a look at where you buy your fuel. Is it a top tier rated place with high volume sales? Usually to get much sludge in the fuel would e from an older or low volume supplier.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:41 PM

Great! Glad you found the fix and it was an easy one! When I first got my truck I changed the fuel filter and it was disgusting. Ever since then, I started changing it every other oil change. Some think it's overkill. But for such an easy and cheap thing to do, why not.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:33 PM

Great! Glad you found the fix and it was an easy one! When I first got my truck I changed the fuel filter and it was disgusting. Ever since then, I started changing it every other oil change. Some think it's overkill. But for such an easy and cheap thing to do, why not.

Well what would you know ran almost 250 miles on it and it started back spitting and sputtering.. I did not get a chance to install my FPDM because it came in today after I had already left so im hoping that clears it up for good but im almost hesitate to drive it without dropping a new fuel pump in there..... I don't know if fuel pumps can start going bad and start being spotty or if when they go bad they just quit all together but the truck has 171,000 on it and for what i know the fuel pump is the original... If i was to buy a Sct livewire/Edge cts programmer where I could watch real time parameters is there anything I could watch that would indicate a bad pump or not? Ill be changing my FPDM tomorrow but like I said I drive close to 80 miles a day to go to work and back and id hate to end up on side of the road due to a fuel pump and not a FPDM..

Quick Reply: Spit and sputter, not the coils